Heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte has verbally blasted WBC world champion Tyson Fury for the recent postponement of the trilogy bout with Deontay Wilder.
Whyte believes Fury is holding up the progression of the heavyweight division with his conduct.
Fury was scheduled to face Wilder in a trilogy fight on July 24th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Last week, it was revealed that Fury had tested positive for COVID-19 and the entire event was pushed back. The new date of October 9 was recently finalized and announced.
There has been some controversy on social media over circulating photos which show Fury out in public mingling with others.
Whyte feels Fury was under the impression that his fight with Wilder was performing poorly, in terms of ticket sales, and decided to pull out.
“Fury knew that this fight was dying on its ass and pulled out. They couldn’t give a ticket away as Brits were not travelling and none of the TV companies were bothered about another 5am fight against a bloke he has already beaten," Whyte said to The Sun.
“Money is everything to Fury. Where is that £7 million he supposedly donated to the homeless charities after the first Wilder fight? Tyson Fury talks a lot of sh!t and people sadly lap it up. Tyson Fury has f----d the entire heavyweight boxing scene all around the world and the whole sport is struggling because of it. When the heavyweights are buzzing the whole sport thrives and when it’s rubbish the whole sport suffers.
"Losing the AJ vs Fury fight has f----d boxing because casual fans just see big fights not happening and people at the top lying to them or fighting bums instead. Fury is a nasty piece of work and his biggest skill is conning the public because they always end up feeling sorry for him. Boxing is a joke right now, every other sport is getting attention, and it’s because he has now f----d two or three of the biggest fights around.”
Fury has been out of the ring since his rematch with Wilder in February of 2020.
The trilogy fight was initially eyed for July of last year, but the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic forced the event to get pushed back several times.
Whyte, who holds the WBC's interim-title, still feels strongly that he should be elevated to full champion - while Fury is placed in a 'champion in recess' position.
“If Fury fights in October then he will have been out of the ring, not defending the WBC heavyweight title for 20 months - almost two years - that is criminal. He messed me around when ordered by the WBC to fight me for the diamond belt he asked for. He messed Joshua around on the undisputed fight and now he has messed Wilder around on their rematch," Whyte said.
“The WBC is a prestigious belt and I don’t understand how they can tolerate this guy taking the piss with their biggest belt. It will have only been fought for five times in the last four years, against three different opponents. Enough is enough. Fury should be made champion in recess, elevate me from interim champion to champion and I will fight Wilder straight away.
“If and when Fury is ever ready to fight he can fight the winner - which will be me - and then the winner of that, the rightful WBC champion, can fight AJ for all the belts. In three simple fights you would know the real No1 undisputed heavyweight champion of the world. All this nonsense has to stop."