Oscar De La Hoya has entered the crossfire of the latest Boxing Twitter Spat.
The founder and head of Golden Boy Promotions recently sided with WBO welterweight champion Terence Crawford after Crawford offered his thoughts on the failed negotiations between him and IBF, WBA, and WBC champion Errol Spence Jr. for an undisputed fight that was supposed to take place in November.
In his wide-ranging tell-all on Instagram Live, Crawford pinned the blame squarely on Spence and his business handler Al Haymon, the founder of Premier Boxing Champions. Crawford is scheduled to face David Avanesyan on Dec. 10 in Omaha, Nebraska, Crawford's hometown. De La Hoya, who used to work closely with Haymon nearly a decade ago before a dramatic falling out, enthusiastically offered his support to the Nebraskan native on his Twitter account.
“My respects to @terencecrawford and exposing the Al Hamon circus,” De La Hoya said. “I’ve been dealing with this sh!t for years, I promoted ‘all’ the PBC fighters and its all the same bullsh!t with them, they are not in charge. I’ll be going live soon to elaborate and expose the truth.”
De La Hoya has frequently blamed Haymon for supposedly scuttling fan-friendly fights. De La Hoya blamed Haymon over the summer as the reason why a fight could not be made between De La Hoya’s fighter Jaime Munguia and Jermall Charlo. It was De La Hoya, however, who had insisted that DAZN share broadcasting duties for the fight with Showtime, which turned out to be the dealbreaker.
De La Hoya and Haymon worked closely with each other for many years until 2014, when the two entered into a protracted legal tussle.
“Don’t you f----- get it,” De La Hoya wrote to a user. “Al Hamon [sic] is the Cancer here. When I promoted [Adrien] Broner, Spence, Leo [Santa Cruz] Deont[a]y [Wilder], [Keith] Thurman etc etc they were relevant and I had a plan for the to become stars, now they are just fighting 1 time a year if that. Wake up you idiots.”
The comments were not received kindly by Haymon’s ace client in Spence. In addition to answering many of Crawford’s claims, Spence offered his side yesterday in a series of tweets. In addition, he directed several withering ones at De La Hoya.
“@OscarDeLaHoya & you didn’t sh!t about me or the other young guys coming up you f---ed up introducing us every-time you was just the face!” Spence wrote.
In another tweet, Spence pointed out that welterweight Rashidi Ellis left Golden Boy because of De La Hoya’s supposed incompetence as it relates to "handling" black fighters. Ellis announced his deal with PBC earlier this year.
“@OscarDeLaHoya talking about exposing somebody rashidi left cause he know how you handle black fighters,” Spence said.
Later, Spence said that De La Hoya is simply a figurehead, and that his company is steered by matchmaker Roberto Diaz and president Eric Gomez.
“@OscarDeLaHoya rob Diaz & Eric Gomez really run golden boy promotions .. facts,” Spence said.
The comments by De La Hoya are perhaps not a positive indicator that boxing fans will see a fight materialize between De La Hoya’s charge Ryan Garcia and Haymon client Gervonta Davis anytime soon. The two have reportedly agreed to all terms, but a significant hurdle concerns the pay-per-view distribution of that fight.