Israil Madrimov is on the fast track to a major title and with his entire team on board with such plans.
Matchroom Boxing claimed promotional rights to an ordered WBA junior middleweight title eliminator between Uzbekistan’s Madrimov (7-0, 5KOs) and former secondary titlist Michel Soro (35-2-1, 24KOs) after winning a purse bid hearing conducted Wednesday from WBA headquarters in Panama City. Matchroom submitted a bid of $245,000, outpacing Yohan Zauoi who bid $217,700 on behalf of Y12 Management.
France’s Soro is entitled to 60% of the total purse bid amount ($147,000) as the higher-ranked contender. Madrimov—who is promoted by Matchroom and managed by Vadim Kornilov—will receive the remaining $98,000 or 40% of the bid amount.
Madrimov emerged as a top contender in the WBA junior middleweight rankings following a twelve-round, unanimous decision win over Eric Walker last August. The win marked his sixth in the United States in as many pro fights to that point. In his most recent start, Madrimov returned to his home country in claiming a ten-round shutout win over then-unbeaten Emmany Kalombo this past April 3 in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
The same city was listed as one of three potential locations where Matchroom plans to stage the event, pending a follow-up session to further clarify the purse split. Matchroom has also cited Las Vegas and Cleveland as potential hosting cities, with all three locations aimed for a December 11 fight date.
Had Y12 Management won the purse bid, the targeted dates were November 20 in Paris and November 27 in Marseille, France. Either location would have provided a geographical edge for Soro, who is based out of Villeurbanne and with all but four pro fights having taken place in France.
The former secondary WBA junior middleweight titlist is currently riding a five-fight win streak since a twelve-round, split decision defeat to Brian Castano in their July 2017 WBA interim title fight. Castano has since claimed the WBO belt, while Soro has continued to pursue a shot at the WBA title. His progress has been stalled since the pandemic, having not fought since a fifth-round knockout of Cedric Vitu in their November 2019 WBA “Gold” regional title fight in Paris.
The winner of the ordered fight will become the WBA mandatory challenger to current lineal/WBA/WBC/IBF junior middleweight champion Jermell Charlo (34-1-1, 18KOs).
Per terms of the purse bid, Matchroom Boxing has twenty (20) days to provide signed contracts from both boxers with a confirmed fight date.
Jake Donovan is a senior writer for BoxingScene.com. Twitter: @JakeNDaBox