By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Former WBC and Ring Magazine world flyweight champion Sonny Boy Jaro has won by a seventh round knockout in what his manager/trainer Aljoe Jaro said was “another big win in a grudge rematch” against Japan’s Shota Kawaguchi in Osaka on Sunday in Sakai City, Japan.
With the win the 33-year-old Sonny Boy Jaro, who is fighting as a super flyweight, improved his record to 42-13-5 with 30 knockouts while Kaweaguchi who is 31 dropped to 18-7-1 with 8 knockouts.
Jaro won a majority eight round decision over Kawaguchi last April 29.
The boxer’s biggest win was against long-time WBC champion and WBC “Fighter of the Decade” Pomngsaklek Wonjongkam of Thailand whom he dropped once in rounds one and three and twice in round six to score a stunning upset and win the flyweight crown on March 2, 2012 and also won the Ring Magazine flyweight title.
Meantime, Aljoe Jaro claims he had asked for an extension of the date set for a purse bid in the Denver Cuello-Saul Juarez title eliminator but that “they didn’t give me any advice regarding my request for a postponement" and that he only learned that Oswaldo Kuchle had won.”
He claimed to have emailed Oswaldo several times asking when the exact date of the fight would be but hasn’t received a response.
Aljoe said Cuello is training although he still hasn’t received the fight contract and that he would prefer the title eliminator to take place in the last week of November.