Ryan Garcia feels as though he has finally reeled in his most elusive prey yet.
The lightweight Insta-star from Victorville, California, has been all smiles ever since his mega fight with Baltimore’s Gervonta Davis was announced to the boxing world earlier in the week. Both fighters shared the news on their social media accounts.
The two are scheduled to face each other reportedly on April 15 at an undetermined venue in Las Vegas in a 12-round fight contracted at 136 pounds.
Garcia has repeatedly said it was important for his fight with Davis to become a reality, especially after the boxing world was deprived of a welterweight undisputed championship between Errol Spence Jr. and Terence Crawford. But, in the end, Garcia’s team — Golden Boy Promotions, DAZN — were able to cut a deal with Davis’ side, as led by Al Haymon of Premier Boxing Champions and Showtime.
“This fight means everything to me,” Garcia told Stephen A. Smith on ESPN’s First Take. “Since I was a young kid I always wanted the biggest fights in the world. It’s been my dream and it’s finally here. I had to chase him down. But we finally made it happen. I couldn’t be happier for the sport, for the fans, and for everybody that’s gonna tune in. Two undefeated young fighters finally fighting in their prime. I’m happy as happy.”
Asked to confirm if he felt that Davis had been “running” from him all these years, Garcia insisted that was the case.
“You know what … actually, he was running from me,” Garcia said. “But like I said, I made it happen. The stars aligned perfect. And now it’s time to show everybody that I’m the best fighter in the world. I’ve been the best since I was a young kid, and I was one of the best in the amateurs, and now I’m here in the pros, here to finally start everything that I ever dreamed of.
“I’ve been asking for this fight since I was 17, 18 years old,” Garcia continued. “I guess he (Davis) always wanted to take a little easier route, as you can see by his opposition. So, it’s finally here. All I gotta say is all that doesn’t matter now. The fight’s happening. I’m gonna whoop him.”
Davis will have a fight in the interim, a fight with junior lightweight contender Hector Luis Garcia on Jan. 7 in Washington, D.C. on Showtime Pay-Per-View. Garcia stated on Twitter that he will also return to the ring in January against an unnamed opponent.
Garcia said his hopes for making the Davis fight took a great leap after Davis had knocked out his last opponent, Rolando ‘Rolly’ Romero, in May in Brooklyn, New York.
“We all came together … and he realized that he wanted this fight as well,” Garcia said. “When I saw him (Davis) fight Rolly Romero, in Brooklyn, I believe — he finally said, 'you’re next,' and at that moment it was real and I pushed it from this day on. I said I’mma handle business with Javier Fortuna and I did, and now he’s ready to go. We both came together, the teams, it was a hard process, but we figured it out. Great things are gonna happen now.
“Finally, finally, a mega fight is on the horizon.”