The return of Rene Tellez-Giron will have to wait another day.
The lightweight prospect withdrew from tonight’s fight against Cesar Ayon due to recently testing positive for the Coronavirus, manager Frank Espinoza told BoxingScene Thursday afternoon.
The eight-round bout was to have taken place at the Domo del Parque San Rafael in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Tellez-Giron (14-1, 8 knockouts), who resides in Queretaro, Mexico, has not fought since knocking out previously-unbeaten and 2016 U.S. Olympian Karlos Balderas on December 21. Espinoza signed Tellez-Giron to a management deal soon after the win over Balderas.
The 22-year-old suffered the first loss of his pro career on June 21 of last year, losing by unanimous decision to unbeaten prospect Michel Rivera of the Dominican Republic.
Tellez-Giron, who made his pro debut in October 2015 at the age of 16, has defeated six unbeaten fighters thus far in his pro career.
Espinoza told BoxingScene he hopes Tellez-Giron is on the mend. No word on when Tellez-Giron will return to the ring or if the fight against Ayon will be rescheduled.
Ayon (12-2-1, 2 KOs), who resides in Tlaquepaque, Mexico, has not fought since December 2018, defeating David Algeria by unanimous decision over 10 rounds.
In the main event, fringe junior welterweight contender Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela (21-2-1, 13 KOs) of Guadalajara will face Hermosillo’s Ulises Perez (18-13, 8 KOs) in a 10-round bout.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for BoxingScene since September of 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (Calif.) Star newspaper. He can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing