Jeremiah Milton made Nick Jones pay dearly for his tactical mistake Saturday night.

The developing heavyweight prospect caught Jones with a right hand as Jones bent over after missing a right hand and knocked him out late in the second round. A dazed Jones fell to his side and couldn’t attempt to get up before referee Gerald Ritter waved an end to their scheduled six-rounder on the Jose Pedraza-Richard Commey undercard at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Milton’s hometown.

The official time of the stoppage was 2:49 of the second round.

Milton, who now lives and trains in Las Vegas, improved to 6-0 and recorded his fifth knockout. Jones (9-5, 6 KOs), of Okmulgee, Oklahoma, has been knocked out in back-to-back bouts and five times overall in 14 professional fights.

In the bout before Milton won, Kelvin Davis dropped Sebastian Chaves twice and convincingly beat him on the scorecards.

The undefeated Davis conquered Chaves by huge margins in their six-round junior welterweight bout – 60-52 on all three scorecards. The 6-foot-1 southpaw from Norfolk, Virginia improved to 6-0 (4 KOs).

Argentina’s Chaves (5-5, 2 KOs) has lost four fights in a row.

Davis, who knocked down Chaves once apiece in the second and fourth rounds, landed a left and then a right uppercut around the halfway point of the sixth round. The much taller, longer Davis controlled the action throughout that final round and easily out-pointed Chaves, who was knocked out by another prospect, Tiger Johnson, in his previous appearance.

A looping left hand by Chaves connected just before the midway mark of the fourth round, but Davis responded by drilling Chaves with a straight left that dropped him with 1:16 to go in that round. Chaves climbed off his gloves and knees and nailed Davis with a right hand that kept Davis from capitalizing on that knockdown.

A long left hand by Davis landed with 15 seconds remaining in the third round.

A left-right combination by Davis knocked Chaves flat on his back with 30 seconds to go in the second round. Chaves seemed more surprised than hurt and finished the round on steady legs.

Chaves connected with a left hand as Davis backed into the ropes with just under 1:20 to go in the second round.

An aggressive Chaves made Davis uncomfortable throughout the first round, when Davis mostly fought off his back foot.

In the previous fight, Gerardo Esquivel tested Frevian Gonzalez at times, but Gonzalez won a second straight fight since suffering his lone loss.

Gonzalez beat Esquivel on all three scorecards – 59-54, 59-54 and 58-55 – to win their six-round lightweight bout by unanimous decision. Puerto Rico’s Gonzalez (6-1, 1 KO) is 2-0 since unbeaten Bryan Lua beat him by unanimous decision in a six-rounder 14 months ago in Las Vegas.

Esquivel, of Tacoma, Washington, slipped to 3-3-1 (1 KO).

Esquivel caught Gonzalez with a left hook that hurt him early in the sixth round. Gonzalez held Esquivel again to survive that trouble, which caused referee Gerald Ritter to deduct a point from him.

That sequence seemingly motivated Gonzalez, who came back to land several right hands and regained control of their bout.

Gonzalez’s right hand backed up Esquivel 20 seconds into the fifth round, but Equisvel came right back with a right hand that made Gonzalez hold him. Ritter warned Gonzalez for holding several seconds later.

With just under a minute to go in the fifth round, Ritter warned Gonzalez for holding again.

A right hand by Gonzalez landed flush with just under a minute remaining in the fourth round. Gonzalez’s straight left hands landed in the third round, when he fought from a left-handed stance.

Gonzalez’s right hand to the side of Esquivel’s head knocked him off balance with just under 30 seconds to go in the second round. An accidental clash of heads caused a brief break in the action barely a minute into the second round, when Esquivel pawed at the middle of his face.

A right hand by Gonzalez sent Esquivel to the canvas with just over a minute on the clock in the first round. Esquivel got right to his feet and complained to Ritter that Gonzalez hit him behind his head and pushed him down.

A replay following the round showed Esquivel was correct and Ritter ruled that it wasn’t a knockdown.

Earlier Saturday night, Abdullah Mason was taken the distance for the first time in four professional fights.

A rugged Angel Rebollar made Mason work much harder than he did during any of his first three bouts, but Mason comfortably beat Rebollar on all three scorecards in their four-round lightweight fight. The 18-year-old southpaw from Cleveland won by scores of 40-35, 40-35 and 39-36.

Abdullah (4-0, 3 KOs) dealt Los Angeles’ Rebollar his first professional loss (5-1, 3 KOs).

Rebollar pressed the action right up until the final bell and landed a hard right hand as Mason backed into the ropes with under 10 seconds to go in the fourth round. Mason dislodged Rebollar’s mouthpiece with a left hand that landed with just over a minute remaining in their fight.

Rebollar’s left hook caught Mason barely 25 seconds into the third round.

A left hand by Mason knocked Rebollar off balance with just under 10 seconds on the clock in the second round. Rebollar’s right uppercut landed while they worked on the inside with 1:25 to go in the second round.

Mason drilled Rebollar with a right uppercut 1:15 into the opening round. Mason scored a knockdown just 16 seconds into their bout, when his right hook made Rebollar fall forward and touch the canvas with both gloves.

It appeared, however, that Abdullah’s right glove cupped Rebollar behind his head and caused him to go down.

In the first fight Saturday night, another prospect from Cleveland, light heavyweight Dante Benjamin Jr., shut out Brazil’s Leandro Silva on all three scorecards in a four-rounder.

Benjamin (4-0, 2 KOs) took several flush punches from the left-handed Silva (3-7, 2 KOs) and showed some defensive flaws, but he won 40-36, 40-36 and 40-36.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.