Michael Dutchover took advantage of what was dubbed his “last chance” Friday night.

The 24-year-old Dutchover, who went 2-2 in his previous four fights, overcame Clarence Booth by split decision in an eight-round junior welterweight fight at ProBox Events Center in Plant City, Florida. Dutchover (16-2, 10 KOs), of Midland, Texas, advanced to meet Mexico’s Antonio Moran in the semifinals of ProBox TV’s 140-pound tournament.

Moran defeated Jeffrey Torres by unanimous decision in another eight-rounder Friday night to advance.

Judges Joanne Richard (78-74) and Tito Wilgo (77-75) scored their fight for Dutchover, who lost 77-75 on the card of James O’Connor. Booth (21-5, 13 KOs), of St. Petersburg, Florida, had his six-fight winning streak snapped.

Dutchover boxed off his back foot for most of the eighth and final round, and appeared well on his way to a decisive victory. Booth basically followed him around the ring, but he didn’t land any punches of consequence in those final three minutes.

The younger Dutchover was more active and accurate throughout the seventh round. His right hand knocked Booth off balance with about 15 seconds remaining in the seventh round.

Dutchover connected with an overhand right 35 seconds into the sixth round. A left hook up top by Dutchover landed with about 25 seconds to go in the sixth round.

Neither Dutchover nor Booth landed many punches during the fifth round. Dutchover caught Booth with a left hook in an exchange several seconds before the fourth round ended.

Dutchover connected with a left hook to the body and followed with a left hook up top about 1:15 into the third round. A counter right by Dutchover caught Booth when he was off balance when there were approximately 30 seconds to go in the third round.

Booth buckled Dutchover’s knees with a hard right barely 50 seconds into the second round. Dutchover countered Booth with a right hand when there were just over 40 seconds on the clock in the second round.

Booth belted Dutchover with a right hand up top almost two minutes into the opening round. About 20 seconds later, Booth blasted Dutchover with a hard left to his body.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for BoxingScene.com. He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.