by Chris Williamson

A number of Frank Warren's prospects enjoyed useful run-outs before the holiday season in the pre-television section of the big Copper Box show here in London.

Harvey Horn started proceedings with a three-round stoppage on his debut at flyweight against 1-0 Czech Denis Bartos over four rounds. Bartos’ corner complained about the stoppage but with their man under sustained fire in the corner it was a good decision. 

Hornchurch super-lightweight Sanjeev Sahota progressed to 10-0 with a routine six rounder against Slovakian journeyman Ivan Godor. Sahota won all six rounds on the referee’s scorecard. 

Hot prospect Archie Sharp was moved up in class at super-featherweight with a useful scrap against Nicaraguan Rafael Castillo who'd given stablemate Ryan Garner a decent test in Leeds earlier in the year. ‘Sharpshooter’ Sharp didn’t have everything his own way but showed moments of real class in moving to 11-0. The switch-hitting Sidcup man dropped the tough visitor with a left hook to the body in the seventh and one to watch in 2018. The referee scored the bout 80-71.

Peckham’s Johnny ‘the Pexican’ Garton (now 21-1-1) stopped Frenchman Mihail Orlov in the very last round of a fantastic battle to win a minor regional IBF belt at welterweight. Orlov came to win and his useful jab had Garton’s face marked up as early as the third, a nasty welt forming under the local man’s left eye. Garton responded well with a left right combination which buckled the Frenchman’s legs in the fifth as a pocket of his fans sang his name.

By the seventh it had turned into a real battle of attrition as each hurt each other to both head and body in a terrific trade. Two textbook straight right hands from Garton hurt Orlov and took the ninth. Garton continued his good work in the tenth where a beautiful left hook wobbled the visitor near the start of the round. With blood running down his face, Garton would not be denied, stalking Orlov with left and rights until the Frenchman was trapped and defenceless in a corner until the referee stepped in with less than a minute left.