British, European and Commonwealth bantamweight champion Lee McGregor stepped up to super-bantamweight for the night and saw his 100 percent record ended as he was held to a draw by Argentina's Diego Ruiz at York Hall, East London.

Referee Kieran McCann, the sole scorer, had the ten-rounder 95-95, much to McGregor's obvious annoyance. But it had been a difficult night for the Scot, who could not subdue Ruiz, despite going forward throughout, forcing the pace and doing the cleaner work.

Ruiz was cagey early on as McGregor, who is ranked No 6 and 7 by the WBA and WBC respectively, forced the pace, but after the Scot got through with a couple of meaty uppercuts in the third round, Ruiz started slinging shots back. One left hook had McGregor rocking back on his heels and Ruiz had such success that he was raising his hands to the air as the bell sounded to end the round.

If that had been a bit of a warning to McGregor, he took it to heart, as he boxed neatly in the fourth, tagging Ruiz with a left hook of his own and driving the Argentinian backwards.

It was more of the same in the fifth, as McGregor stayed on the outside and, while Ruiz came on strong in the sixth, McGregor tucked up well and stayed out of trouble.

The seventh and eighth rounds were competitive, as Ruiz tried to fire back every time McGregor landed, but try as he might, McGregor was really struggling to put a dent in the Argentinian.

But the fire in Ruiz was starting to quell in the last two rounds as McGregor finished well, but Ruiz was never totally out of it and while the result came as something of a surprise, it was reward for Ruiz never giving up.

In the top of the bill, middleweight hope Danny Dignum knocked Grant Dennis down three times in the sixth round to force a stoppage for the WBO's European belt.

While some are debating who of Chris Eubank Jr and Felix Cash is Britain's best middleweight, Dignum would like to put his name in that conversation as he extended his unbeaten record to 15 fights (one draw).

Southpaw Dignum was a bit wild in the opening round as he overstretched to find land on Dennis, but left himself open to a counter, but he found his range better with the jab in the second and third rounds as he started to put pressure on Dennis.

Dennis had some success in the fourth and fifth rounds with pot-shotting, But Dignum was forcing him backwards as he tried to maneuver him back to the ropes.

The breakthrough came in the sixth as Dignum started to go through the gears, trapping Dennis in a corner and opening up before a left saw Dennis take a knee. He looked a bit unsteady as he rose and he was down again from another left soon after. Dignum then went for the finish and dropped Dennis for the third time with a left uppercut. He beat the count but referee Bob Williams waved it off at 2:31.

Irish super-welterweight prospect Paul Ryan made short work of CJ Wood, whom he knocked down twice on the way to a stoppage at 2:26 of the first round of a six-rounder.

Ryan set about Wood from the opening bell, carrying his hands low and landing quick shots with both hands to send Wood to the floor after just 30 seconds.

Wood did his best to come forward but was just walking into trouble. After getting pinned on the ropes, a left to the body sent Wood down again and referee Chas Coakley waved it off as Wood rose as Ryan moved to 3-0 in the pro ranks.

Lightweight Jordan Flynn moved to 4-0 as a pro in a sometimes wild six-rounder with Marian Marius Istrate.

Flynn was too sharp and accurate for his Romanian opponent, setting up attacks with a long jab but he then looked happy to exchange punches when Istrate opened up, which left him open to some hard counters.

Kevin Mitchell, in Flynn's corner, eventually got his man to settle down and he dominated the latter stages and got close to overwhelming Istrate in the final round.

Referee Coakley scored it 59-55.

Rangey light-heavyweight prospect Joe Giles won every round but was given a solid test by the always reliable Lewis van Poetsch. Giles, 23, towered over Van Poetsch and whenever he stepped back and swung punches around Van Poetsch's guard there was little the veteran could do about it.

Still Van Poetsch came forward throughout, forcing the fight and was never in danger of being stopped, as referee Coakley scored it 40-36 to Giles, who moved to 2-0.

Super-welterweight George Mitchell showed a lot of good movement and a nice jab as he moved to 3-0 with a four-round points win over Russia's Vasif Mamedov. Referee Kieran McCann scored it 40-36.

Bilal Fawaz made a successful professional debut as he stopped Russia's Vladimir Fleischhauer in the third of a scheduled four at super-welterweight. Fleischhauer spent almost the whole fight backing away as Fawaz went looking for him with his long backhand right.

There were signs that Fleischhauer was on the way out when Fawaz landed a big right near the end of the second and the Nigeria-born debutant was relentless as he stayed on the case in the third, trapping the Russian on the rope and whacking away with both hands until referee McCann intervened at 1:41.

Ron Lewis is a senior writer for BoxingScene. He was Boxing Correspondent for The Times, where he worked from 2001-2019 - covering four Olympic Games and numerous world title fights across the globe. He has written about boxing for a wide variety of publications worldwide since the 1980s.