Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, Hollywood - 58-year-old former undisputed cruiserweight and heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield (44-10-2, 29 KOs) was upset with Saturday's first round stoppage loss to former UFC champion Vitor Belfort (1-0, 1 KO).
It was not clear if the fight was a fully sanctioned contest or an exhibition.
Holyfield was fighting for the first time since 2011. He accepted the fight on late notice after Belfort's original opponent, Oscar De La Hoya, withdrew last week after testing positive for COVID-19.
Holyfield was scheduled to fight since last year, but his planned bouts were pushed back due to issues outside of his control.
Earlier in the year, Holyfield was campaigning for a trilogy fight with Mike Tyson, who made his own ring return last November.
Against Belfort, the Hall of Famer looked every bit his age.
He came out with a very slow jab and actually fell over while taking a wild swing that missed Belfort.
Holyfield was later dropped by a Belfort combination.
While Holyfield got back to his feet, the MMA veteran, 44-years-old, would not allow aging boxer to leave the first round.
Belfort jumped on him with a barrage of punches, which soon prompted the referee to step in and wave off the fight - because Holyfield was simply covering up, taking shots, and more importantly he was not fighting back.
Holyfield believes the referee was too quick to pull the trigger.
“I thought it was a bad call. I don’t think the referee should have stopped the fight that quick,” Holyfield said.
Former United States President Trump was a special guest on commentary team, as part of the pay-per-view event that was put together by the Triller app.
Trump has been friends with Holyfield for a long time and felt the referee made the right call.
“You could see right from the beginning, he was not the same fighter. That left jab was very slow. He’s lost a lot," Trump said.