Eddie Hearn, promoter for unified heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, is still not 100% sold on the official reason behind the recent postponement of the Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder trilogy fight.
The contest was scheduled for July 24th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Last week, the fight was officially postponed after it was revealed that Fury had contracted COVID-19.
Both Wilder and Fury have been out of action since February 2020 - when Fury stopped Wilder in seven rounds to capture the WBC heavyweight title at Las Vegas' MGM Grand.
The two sides are now looking to reschedule the third encounter in the month of October.
Hearn is raising his eyebrows at several details - which make him get the sense that Fury-Wilder was never going to come off on July 24.
He says no UK pay-per-view broadcast partner was ever announced for the third encounter. And, he explains that a very small percentage of tickets were sold for the bout - which leads him to believe that Fury-Wilder would have generated a lower than expected pay-per-review buyrate number.
"There was no broadcaster in the UK announced. You know [Fury] has a contract with BT [Sport]? They never announced the fight. They sold no tickets," Hearn told the DAZN Boxing Show.
"Basically, you could go online and check. I don’t know whether it was 25% or 30% of the tickets have been sold, but that’s disastrous. There was no hype. This was going to do very, very poor pay-per-view numbers.”