No announcement yet.

The Pressure is Not On Manny Pacquiao

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pressure is Not On Manny Pacquiao

The mid-term congressional elections were last week and there were volatile changes in Washington D.C. as the ********s took control of both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Those elections may be over, but there is still one referendum on the boxing ballot that has to be decided and that is whether Erik Morales can continue to be a force among upper echelon of boxers in the game today. This issue will be firmly in the hands of Manny Pacquiao, the incumbent force in the junior lightweight division. If Pacquiao (42-3-2, 32 KOs) successfully punches Morales’ ticket in Las Vegas on Saturday night (HBO Pay Per View), then the Mexican icon may be forced to hang ‘em up for good.

Morales (48-4, 34 KOs) has lost three of his last four matches, including his last fight against Pacquaio that saw the Filipino dervish smashed Morales from ring post to ring post until referee Kenny Bayless called a halt to the beating after 10 rounds.

Morales, just 30 years old, looked slow and plodding in that match 10 months ago. He had plenty of excuses why he looked worst against Pacquiao the second time around. He had dumped his father as his trainer and had changed location of his training camp.

“I just made too many changes in my routine from my camp,’’ Morales said. “I should have just stayed with what I had. I think that’s the big difference.’’

Bob Arum, Morales promoter, thought that Morales might have hurt himself in that fight by losing too much weight improperly. He had a personal trainer from Velocity Sports Performance, an LA fitness training outfit, work with Morales to get him in shape for this fight.

“Yes, working with Velocity has been a real good thing to do,’’ Morales said. “I think that we took a lot of time to get ready for this fight for the weight, to make the weight, and I feel real strong, and I think that’s going to be the key. Not only losing the weight but be real strong after it.’’ [details]
Working...
X