No announcement yet.

Klitschko's Size Don't Matter For Calvin Brock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klitschko's Size Don't Matter For Calvin Brock

World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko is a deceptively big man. You see him from afar and he does not look so big or imposing. But the closer you get to him, the bigger the 6-6, 240-pound Klitschko gets.

Calvin Brock is not a small man himself, going 6-2, 230 pounds. He does not see Klitschko as overly imposing. But he will get a closer look when the two meet in the center of the ring at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night (HBO at 10 p.m.).

“His height is not a big deal,’’ Brock said on Tuesday following a brief noon time workout at Grand Central Station in Manhattan. “It’s all about skill, conditioning and timing. Believe me the height will not make a difference.’’

Brock is counting on his past experience against bigger, taller opponents. Most recently Brock scored a sixth round knockout of Zuri Lawrence (6-4) on Feb. 25. Before that Brock won a 10 round decision against 6-6, 265-pound Jameel McCline in 2005. Brock got up off the deck in the seventh round and still won the fight. It was a match that made Brock a serious contender.

That was the only serious test that Brock has faced in his career. For the most part the road to his 29-0 record (with 22 KOs) has been smooth.

On the other hand, Klitschko (46-2, 43 KOs) has had his share of ups and downs. He won his first heavyweight championship by winning a 12-round unanimous decision against Chris Byrd in 2000. He was able to put together five straight successful defenses over the course of three years before things went south. Klitschko was knockout in the second round by Corrie Sanders, a South African journeyman who was preparing to begin a pro golf career before meeting Klitschko for the title. [details]

I think I'm like the only one that thinks Brock has a good chance. haha

Comment

Originally posted by alphaqfrankie View Post
      I think I'm like the only one that thinks Brock has a good chance. haha

Any opponent has a good chance against Klitschko. If Brock has done his homework he will know exactly how to throw an uppercut when Klitschko dives in for the clinch. Brock will know what to do when Klitschko paws the jab, or when he pulls straight back, or crosses his feet, or drops his left or any number of other flaws which he has failed to correct.

Did Brock do his homework? I guess we find out tomorrow.

Comment

umm....if you are a boxing writer, please know your grammar.

Comment

Whats gonna be next for Brock after he gets KTFO? Perhaps he could be a tune up for someone like Ruiz or Peter or Toney

Comment

Klitschko may be flawed, but he has got the equalizer in his offensive repetoire. He definitely won't be confused with Joe Louis when his reign ends, but I can't see him losing this fight. If Peter couldn't KO him then I don't think Brock can either. Brock can outbox Peter but I don't know if that will do him any good against Klitschko. If he is to be beaten it has to be by a brawler like Brewster or Peter not a boxer-puncher type.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynBomber View Post
              umm....if you are a boxing writer, please know your grammar.
              It's mimicking the "dem, dat, and dose" speech of old time fighters.

Comment

It's not the size it's how you use it.

..Yeah right, Klitschko by KO.

Comment

just how how many off the klits opponents has said that size doesnt matter and been dead wrong on it?

Comment

Originally posted by leff View Post
                    just how how many off the klits opponents has said that size doesnt matter and been dead wrong on it?
                    Wladimir only has one good win on his record, that beiing Chris Byrd.

Comment

Working...
                    X