No announcement yet.

The Ten Greatest Heavyweight Championship Clashes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ten Greatest Heavyweight Championship Clashes

Boxing fans are a unique bunch in some ways; but not that different from fans of other sports in others. We, for the most part, seek drama; the best that two men can produce in the ring. Just as every football fan enjoys a good “slobber-knocker” of a ball game, a nip and tuck, down to the last second match-up, so do we. We just prefer seeing competition in its barest form; not one team and one coach against each other; but more naked: one man against one man. At its worst, a boxing match can bore you to tears or make you wish you hadn’t shelled out that fifty clams; but at its best, it can leave you as breathless as the combatants themselves.

When comprising any list, regardless of context, one must pay attention to the most minute details in order to assure the highest degree of accuracy possible. This is both an exhilarating and torturing task for those of us who enjoy such endeavors. I know, because of the headaches this particular compilation has caused me as I used and abused every thread of logic that I possess in search for the perfect order of these monumental clashes. In the end, I came to the sad realization that no matter what order in which they fell, there is no way in hell everyone who reads it is going to say, “Yeah, that’s pretty much the way they line up.” [details]

holyfield-bowe at 7?

a 1-sided 1-rounder at 1?

no thrilla in manila?

I cant find an answer to the above questions that is not offensive to the author

Comment

what? no Tubbs v Witherspoon

Comment

Originally posted by marvdave View Post
        what? no Tubbs v Witherspoon
        It was a tough call; but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
          holyfield-bowe at 7?

a 1-sided 1-rounder at 1?

no thrilla in manila?

I cant find an answer to the above questions that is not offensive to the author
          It's all about opinion, so I won't be offended. In a nutshell, here are the answers I can best give you.

You must look beyond retrospect to see the importance of Louis-Schmeling II. Max was no pushover in any sense of the word; it was Joe who raised his game to an all-time high.

Holyfield-Bowe is at number 7 because this list was not just about action and that match-up didn't measure up to the six above it.

The Thrilla in Manilla wasn't as significant at the first clash between the two, nor that significant historically, which was the primary premise of this list. If it were an action-list, it would be in the Top 3; but by the time Ali and Frazier met in 1975, both were past their best days......pride was almost all that remained. Frazier was pummelled in his next bout and retired and Ali never performed near that level again. The Thrilla was one last stand for both men and finished them both.

Comment

I am going to give you some of my favorite HW throw downs of my era that are in no particular order.

Paolo Vidoz vs Nicolay Valuev

Paolo Vidoz vs Timo Hoffman

Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield 1

Andrew Golata vs Riddick Bowe (all of them)

Tommy Morrison vs George Foreman

Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas

Michael Moorer vs Evander Holyfield (all of them)

Michael Moorer vs Frans Botha

Lennox Lewis vs Vitali Klitschko

Lennox Lewis vs Mike Tyson

Lennox Lewis vs Evander Holyfield 2

Mike Tyson vs Razor Ruddock 2

Larry Holmes vs Gerry Cooney

Larry Holmes vs Tex Cobb

Larry Holmes vs Bonecrusher Smith

Oleg Maskaev vs Hassim Rahman (all of them)

Jameel McCline vs Cedric Boswell

Wladamir Klitschko vs Ross Puritty

I have seen so many great HW fights in my life I'm probably missing a bunch but that list is what comes right off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by badblood View Post
              I am going to give you some of my favorite HW throw downs of my era that are in no particular order.

Paolo Vidoz vs Nicolay Valuev

Paolo Vidoz vs Timo Hoffman

Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield 1

Andrew Golata vs Riddick Bowe (all of them)

Tommy Morrison vs George Foreman

Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas

Michael Moorer vs Evander Holyfield (all of them)

Michael Moorer vs Frans Botha

Lennox Lewis vs Vitali Klitschko

Lennox Lewis vs Mike Tyson

Lennox Lewis vs Evander Holyfield 2

Mike Tyson vs Razor Ruddock 2

Larry Holmes vs Gerry Cooney

Larry Holmes vs Tex Cobb

Larry Holmes vs Bonecrusher Smith

Oleg Maskaev vs Hassim Rahman (all of them)

Jameel McCline vs Cedric Boswell

Wladamir Klitschko vs Ross Puritty

I have seen so many great HW fights in my life I'm probably missing a bunch but that list is what comes right off the top of my head.
              Quite an amalgom there Double B. I see you have an appreciation for artistry as well as brutality. Nice compilation.

Comment

Johnson/Jeffries should have still made it, in my opinion...based on the criteria laid out, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                  Quite an amalgom there Double B. I see you have an appreciation for artistry as well as brutality. Nice compilation.
                  I appreciate that you appreciate my love for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
                    Johnson/Jeffries should have still made it, in my opinion...based on the criteria laid out, that is.

Well, as I said, I tried to balance the criteria to the best of my ability. The list was comprised primarily on historic importance; but action and repercussions also played a role. Jeffries was long shot by the time Johnson fought him; and while it's true that it was important at the time, the action, or lack thereof within the bout, pushed it off the list.

Comment

Working...
                    X