No announcement yet.

Castillo-Corrales: Splitting Heirs of Controversy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castillo-Corrales: Splitting Heirs of Controversy

Earlier this year, thousands of boxing fans, quick to assume and slow to apply reason, demonized Jose Luis Castillo. Now realizing that he is no wretched scoundrel apt to cowardice, they are forced to reassess their ravaging of his legacy by the very man they deemed the ultimate victim of Castillo’s supposed schemes. Diego Corrales asked his body to perform the impossible, and it failed. Will hypocrisy reign as Corrales is considered redeemable, or, as with Castillo, will they seek to make him an outcast?

This is not a character assassination of Diego Corrales. Some of us are not yet naïve enough to believe that a man capable of risking his life for the betterment of his family can become a coward in an instant. Nor are we bitter enough to tear that man’s character to pieces simply because he prevented us from witnessing the gruesome spectacle we expected.

We leave that to such exalted members of the boxing industry as the broadcast team at Showtime, who unashamedly went about the task of destroying Castillo before millions of viewers this past June. [details]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    Earlier this year, thousands of boxing fans, quick to assume and slow to apply reason, demonized Jose Luis Castillo. Now realizing that he is no wretched scoundrel apt to cowardice, they are forced to reassess their ravaging of his legacy by the very man they deemed the ultimate victim of Castillo’s supposed schemes. Diego Corrales asked his body to perform the impossible, and it failed. Will hypocrisy reign as Corrales is considered redeemable, or, as with Castillo, will they seek to make him an outcast?

This is not a character assassination of Diego Corrales. Some of us are not yet naïve enough to believe that a man capable of risking his life for the betterment of his family can become a coward in an instant. Nor are we bitter enough to tear that man’s character to pieces simply because he prevented us from witnessing the gruesome spectacle we expected.

We leave that to such exalted members of the boxing industry as the broadcast team at Showtime, who unashamedly went about the task of destroying Castillo before millions of viewers this past June. [details]

Great article. The writer covered all bases of the situation and told it like it is.

I was dissapointed in how Showtime only spend a small interview on the situation as compared to Castillos inccident when they didicated a whole show to Castillo. And Shaw looked like an even bigger ******* for all the **** he talked about Castillo and same with Corrales but they got off easy.

Because he had the effrontery to smile while simply accepting his failure, knowing it would cost him the most, though there was no more he could do. Because he did not force the tears and show the contrition that boxing fans, media and networks alike felt he owed them. The day Castillo concedes his own weakness with relish and begs Corrales’ forgiveness is the day that Erik Morales accepts an invitation to the Barrera household for afternoon tea.
    Corrales faked his tears, he didn't give a care in the world, those tears were more from humiliation then anything. But i do take back calling him a ***** for like you the article said, fighters put thier life and health on the line. But Cassamayor did go on with the fight and Corrales didn't, and Corrales weighed more too. So no more bs about Castillo kos, Castilo's ko was a legit ko, plain and simple.

Showtime owes Castillo an appoligy. I remember they said somthing like, they would probably never again show a Castillo fight, yet they still showed the Corrales fight. Castillo is big time anyways, Hbo shows his fights. Castillo is a warrior and he tried to make weight as did Corrales so i don't ever want to hear any poster or anybody for that matter say Castillo didn't try and make weight, and the Ko by Castillo is legit, as a ko can get!
    Last edited by ferocity; 10-12-2006, 01:37 AM.

Comment

That was a great article.

Comment

Originally posted by .::|ULTIMATE|::. View Post
        That was a great article.
        ditto.............

Comment

I'm glad someone finally said EXACTLY what i was feeling the other day when Corrales didnt make weight and those *******s on showtime didnt make it as big of a deal as when Castillo did it.

Comment

The article needed to be written because there's all of three, including this one, editorials in the entire internet press that have covered the situation and uncovered the truth that Castillo should never have been kicked to hell for what happened in the first place.

This is vindication for Castillo.

Comment

I was reading fishers mail bag, and afterwards i emailed him a link to this article.

Comment

Originally posted by ferocity View Post
                I was reading fishers mail bag, and afterwards i emailed him a link to this article.
                Doug Fischer is one of the worst out there bashing Castillo. Not that he hates him, but he's taken it upon himself to assume that Castillo intended not to make weight for the rematch. How is that possible? Why would Castillo take eight weeks towards the end of his great career and piss them away for a fighter that he nearly killed the first time?

Aside from anything consider this: If Castillo did not train properly for Corrales in the second fight, and never intended to make weight, what was he doing at 138? That's a ****load closer than Corrales came in at for Casamayor the third time, and Castillo is five years older than Corrales.

Comment

Originally posted by Castillofan View Post
                  Doug Fischer is one of the worst out there bashing Castillo. Not that he hates him, but he's taken it upon himself to assume that Castillo intended not to make weight for the rematch. How is that possible? Why would Castillo take eight weeks towards the end of his great career and piss them away for a fighter that he nearly killed the first time?

Aside from anything consider this: If Castillo did not train properly for Corrales in the second fight, and never intended to make weight, what was he doing at 138? That's a ****load closer than Corrales came in at for Casamayor the third time, and Castillo is five years older than Corrales.
                  I aggree with all your post.

In his mail bag, people were telling him, how Corrales wasn't able to do what Castillo did to him and then Fisher would make all these excuses as to why Corrales lost, then he'd go on to say how Castillo didn't try to make weight, he is totally biased towards Corralles.

Thats why i really liked this article, he just wrote the article as it was, he showed no biased towared either fighter. Just a great article.

Comment

Its not splitting hairs there is a clear distinction between someone not making weight for the first time.

Was what Corrales did right no but it is not nearly the level of Castillo's antics.

Castillo failed to make weight 3 times. That means there were 2 fights in which he must've known or he couldn't make 135lbs but STILL contracted fights against lower weight fighters.

Does everyone also forget that Castillo was caught attempting to cheat the scales?

Castillo was not condemend for the his first 2 infractions and even Corrales's post fight interview for fight number 2 he was constantly asked did the weight play an issue but he chose not to use that out, however he did chose not to go through it a second time.

I like Castillo and do believe he is a warrior and a very good fighter but his repeatedly not making weight is much more aggregious than Corrales's.

Comment

Working...
                    X