No announcement yet.

Can America Crash the Bloc Party?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can America Crash the Bloc Party?

Oleg Maskaev’s procession of machinelike punches removed not only measures of consciousness and dignity from Hasim Rahman, but also the final finger of America’s weakened grip on the heavyweight championship. Prone to such capitulations even when favored, Rahman was no standard bearer for a proud fighting nation. As ever he has, Rahman will attempt to rebuild himself; meanwhile, overrun by champions that call the former Soviet Union home, American heavyweight boxing is ill-at-ease with its fall from grace. Before the year is out, we will be witness to its first wave of retaliation.

Unsurprisingly, the banner under which this resurgence begins belongs to the man voted most likely to brandish Old Glory for impromptu displays of American patriotism. Conveniently enough though, Don King also controls two of the current Eastern European champions. Whether or not the Americans are ready to reclaim that which they feel is their own, the flag which King flies highest will be lined with dollar green.

A key to being indisputably the most successful and recognized boxing promoter of the last thirty years has been the ability to aggrandize the inadequate, illegitimate, and sometimes, the downright odd. As such, King proclaims Belarusian Sergei Lyakhovich as the world heavyweight champion, and conspires with his German counterparts to bring about the stateside championship debut of “Russian Giant,” Nicolai Valuev.

Promotional duties aside, one wonders where Lyakhovich and Valuev would rank on King’s priority list had he been able to secure himself the services of consensus heavyweight champion, Wladimir Klitschko of Ukraine.

Despite being outgunned in the ring, American heavyweights can still claim a token victory: The battle of publicity fought in conference rooms and over international phone lines. The requisite environment of loose lips and stinging quips in which today’s fights are publicized seems an encumbrance to the current breed of champions. [details]

What was the point of the article, is still beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing2005 View Post
      What was the point of the article, is still beyond me.
      You lot seem to think that the heavyweight title belongs to America, it's a world championship for god's sake. Quit moaning.

Comment

I dont think an american will hold the heavyweigh belt for atleast 2 years. Shannon Briggs has the best chance to be the only american to hold the belt right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Pradun View Post
          I dont think an american will hold the heavyweigh belt for atleast 2 years. Shannon Briggs has the best chance to be the only american to hold the belt right now...

I don't really rate briggs, he's never beaten a top contender and he will be exposed by the white wolf next month.

Comment

Dont forget about Sam Peter

Comment

Oh, I forgot hes nigerian

Comment

there are a few fighters from USA who could hold a title

Tony Thompson
                Calv Brock
                JT

Comment

I never understood that "American HW" crap. As long as there is a good HW that produces exciting fights or KO's ill watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeznuts View Post
                    I never understood that "American HW" crap. As long as there is a good HW that produces exciting fights or KO's ill watch.
                    True.....I don't give a **** where a fighter is from.

Comment

Working...
                    X