Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Leigh Wood Reflects on Nicky & Jason Booth as Mould Clash Nears

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Leigh Wood Reflects on Nicky & Jason Booth as Mould Clash Nears

The first time that Leigh Wood got his hands on a Lonsdale Belt, it was one that belonged to Nicky Booth. The former British bantamweight champion was guest of honour with his brother Jason as Wood's amateur club. Phoenix ABC, on awards night. The 12-year-old Wood was in awe.
    [Click Here To Read More]

RIP Nicky Booth. Very talented fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
      RIP Nicky Booth. Very talented fighter.
      Yep great skills. Watched him a lot ...1/2 mile from me.
      I'm good friends with Tony Laing brother of Kirkland who beat Duran and I fully understand knowing the Laing's for more years (age wise) than I'm prepared to admit to what message Wood is putting across. The Laing's ,Booths and of course Froch gave the town some great memories and the boxing community & boxers often go to great lengths to help their peers .It's seems all too easy to fall away after boxing ........RIP Nicky .

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
        Yep great skills. Watched him a lot ...1/2 mile from me.
        I'm good friends with Tony Laing brother of Kirkland who beat Duran and I fully understand knowing the Laing's for more years (age wise) than I'm prepared to admit to what message Wood is putting across. The Laing's ,Booths and of course Froch gave the town some great memories and the boxing community & boxers often go to great lengths to help their peers .It's seems all too easy to fall away after boxing ........RIP Nicky .
        Buncey done a good documentary with Nicky years ago. Nicky was planning a comeback but was still battling his demons. Think it aired on Setanta. But yeah very talented kid, such a shame.

Laing was an exceptional talent too, just so inconsistent. Obviously there’s the Duran win but there was also that win for the European title when he was like 37-38 and he just obliterated the guy in 2 rounds. Is he doing good? I know he’s also had his problems.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
          Buncey done a good documentary with Nicky years ago. Nicky was planning a comeback but was still battling his demons. Think it aired on Setanta. But yeah very talented kid, such a shame.

Laing was an exceptional talent too, just so inconsistent. Obviously there’s the Duran win but there was also that win for the European title when he was like 37-38 and he just obliterated the guy in 2 rounds. Is he doing good? I know he’s also had his problems.
          Yes I saw that Nicky doc from Bunce ..years back & yes such a shame .I'll P.M. on the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by thack View Post
            Yes I saw that Nicky doc from Bunce ..years back & yes such a shame .I'll P.M. on the other stuff.
            Ok man. Nice one

Comment

Nottingham has produced so many great fighters, far more than other cities of similar size like Leeds, Bristol or Leicester, or even Birmingham which is twice as big.

Froch & Kirkland stand out, obviously, but then there were the Booths & Javaid Khaliq. I think Tony Laing won a British title.

I also think (can't be sure) that Herol Graham & Fidel Castro Smith were both from Nottingham although they are always associated with Sheffield because they fought out of the Wincobank gym.

What a roll of talent!

Nicky Booth's end was v sad & wise words from Leigh Woods. You need to find something in your life apart from boxing, otherwise you'll be tempted to fill that space with drink or drugs.

Comment

Working...
              X