Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Melissa Hernandez Aims To Derail Chantelle Cameron, Face Taylor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Melissa Hernandez Aims To Derail Chantelle Cameron, Face Taylor

Melissa Hernandez, a Miami Beach resident, won six world titles and in 2016 hung up the gloves due to her frustration with the inequality in pay in comparison to male boxers. She never lost her love of pugilism and continued to train without knowing what fate was going to bring.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Just read the complete article and the lady is completely deluded in all aspects of her thinking , these people need saving from their selves . I have absolutely no problem with equality , aspiration, drive and ambition but it needs to be realistic and this whole article is quite worrying as I’ve read many similar articles over the years from female fighters with the same aforementioned rhetoric only to be disappointed and suddenly realise they are approaching 40( or more) trouble is they are in denial and as time goes on they are in to deep in terms of investing time, training and their own money along with a small amount of sponsorship (that only suits the sponsor as they get max exposure for next to no risk) .they feel as they have some backing they also have real talent but this 9 times out of 10 is not the case .
    That said there are the 10% of women that are extremely competent who I hugely respect and watch , we all know who they are and they carry the sport on their own . Trouble is at this stage there is not enough high level performers to encourage more air time and better purses .
    Last edited by Buggy bear; 02-04-2021, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy bear View Post
      Just read the complete article and the lady is completely deluded in all aspects of her thinking , these people need saving from their selves . I have absolutely no problem with equality , aspiration, drive and ambition but it needs to be realistic and this whole article is quite worrying as I’ve read many similar articles over the years from female fighters with the same aforementioned rhetoric only to be disappointed and suddenly realise they are approaching 40( or more) trouble is they are in denial and as time goes on they are in to deep in terms of investing time, training and their own money along with a small amount of sponsorship (that only suits the sponsor as they get max exposure for next to no risk) .they feel as they have some backing they also have real talent but this 9 times out of 10 is not the case .
      That said there are the 10% of women that are extremely competent who I hugely respect and watch , we all know who they are and they carry the sport on their own . Trouble is at this stage there is not enough high level performers to encourage more air time and better purses .
      It's also funny how they're pushing for equality in pay but not so much for the duration of a fight. First things first, if you want equal pay in comparison to men, then fight for the same duration. One of the few people that I've actually heard talk about wanting to fight for 36 instead of 20 minutes is Claressa Shields, and that's usually only when an interviewer puts the question to her. I can't remember if it was Taylor or Braekhus (I think it was the latter), but one of them actually said they'd rather fight 10x2 minute rounds.

If you're only fighting for nearly half the time, aren't filling seats and your viewer numbers are only high when you're on the undercard/co-main to a man...then except to be paid more than 50% less...or stfu and get back in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by Squared.Circle View Post
        It's also funny how they're pushing for equality in pay but not so much for the duration of a fight. First things first, if you want equal pay in comparison to men, then fight for the same duration. One of the few people that I've actually heard talk about wanting to fight for 36 instead of 20 minutes is Claressa Shields, and that's usually only when an interviewer puts the question to her. I can't remember if it was Taylor or Braekhus (I think it was the latter), but one of them actually said they'd rather fight 10x2 minute rounds.

If you're only fighting for nearly half the time, aren't filling seats and your viewer numbers are only high when you're on the undercard/co-main to a man...then except to be paid more than 50% less...or stfu and get back in the kitchen.
        it’s not even an entitlement issue, instead of looking at how much it’s cost them they should realise the market place is clearly not interested otherwise they would be making money and not haemorrhaging it when they back themselves, simple economics really . Taylor and Roussey make money because the business generates it and good luck to them .

Comment

So a journeywoman boxer thinks she's good enough to have been a millionaire through boxing, because Floyd Mayweather, one of the greatest ever has made many millions.

I'm certain the journeyman boxers are not millionaires, and are also paid very low.

This equal pay thing does not make sense in boxing. You get paid to your value, which is broken down into several different ways to determine your overall worth.

P4P Status
          Divisional Status
          World titles
          Significant wins
          Significant fights
          Personality
          Self promotion
          Level of fame

And many other factors I can't think of right now. You don't just make millions for being able to box slightly better than the average person that's a non boxer. What a fool.

I can understand the likes of Shields, Taylor, Persoon, and maybe the top 20 P4P women, wanting to be make more, but I'm sure they are doing okay, and female boxing is a sport in development.

They can't be paid money that promoters would definitely not make a return on.

It's just like in film, investors put their money into productions that they feel will make them a profit, no other reason. You can't expect to be made much more than your commercial worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
            So a journeywoman boxer thinks she's good enough to have been a millionaire through boxing, because Floyd Mayweather, one of the greatest ever has made many millions.

I'm certain the journeyman boxers are not millionaires, and are also paid very low.

This equal pay thing does not make sense in boxing. You get paid to your value, which is broken down into several different ways to determine your overall worth.

P4P Status
            Divisional Status
            World titles
            Significant wins
            Significant fights
            Personality
            Self promotion
            Level of fame

And many other factors I can't think of right now. You don't just make millions for being able to box slightly better than the average person that's a non boxer. What a fool.

I can understand the likes of Shields, Taylor, Persoon, and maybe the top 20 P4P women, wanting to be make more, but I'm sure they are doing okay, and female boxing is a sport in development.

They can't be paid money that promoters would definitely not make a return on.

It's just like in film, investors put their money into productions that they feel will make them a profit, no other reason. You can't expect to be made much more than your commercial worth.
            agreed , I’ve been saying in many different posts regarding female boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy bear View Post
              it’s not even an entitlement issue, instead of looking at how much it’s cost them they should realise the market place is clearly not interested otherwise they would be making money and not haemorrhaging it when they back themselves, simple economics really . Taylor and Roussey make money because the business generates it and good luck to them .
              Exactly. Let's have it right, women's boxing is mostly garbage, through no fault of their own might I add. It's only been in the last decade that women have had the opportunity to really dedicate themselves to the sport at the same level men do. Those that do shine through as the elite, but the rest are still playing catchup and boxing part time...so they're just basically shyt.

Give it ten years or so, when this new crop of women boxers have spent the majority of their lives dedicated to boxing, and we'll see an abundance of higher talent grabbing people's attention and raking in higher purses.

For now, we have to settle for reasonably high level female champions outclassing their highest ranked, part time opponents...while both are paid their value.

Comment

Working...
              X