Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ioka: Tattoos Have Nothing To Do With Boxing, I Hope To Chip Away At JBC Rule

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ioka: Tattoos Have Nothing To Do With Boxing, I Hope To Chip Away At JBC Rule

Kazuto Ioka figured he would have to face the music at some point. Controversy has swirled from the four-division and reigning WBO junior bantamweight titlist's 8th round knockout win over Kosei Tanaka this past New Year's Eve in Tokyo. The part that's make the news has nothing to do with the fight itself, however; rather Ioka's violation of existing and antiquated rules with the Japanese Boxing Commission (JBC).
    [Click Here To Read More]

The Yakuza connection Is big in Japanese boxing.

Comment

Man alive at first I said this is crazy this situation but then I thought of how traditons are so dif in other countries, I am sure Eddie Hearn did things in the Middle East that were somewhat dif then the UK ? Think maybe ? Small adjustments we never heard of ? Could be. I would have to dig a little deeper to be sure not just with the M.E. but many other tradtions as DAZN branches out to other continents could come up and be respected. Look at he way boxing is in the USA it is crazy in another way who fights who, won't cross the street in about as stupid as the day is long to me way of thinking causes boxers to not fight each other that is just wrong. Tradition or money but money is a tradition in the USA. Just a few thoughts.

Comment

On the one hand you have to keep in mind that tattoos are associated with the Yakuza in Japan, so the rule's not quite as nonsensical as it quite looks - but Ioka's tattoos clearly aren't Yakuza tattoos, and surely they can cut the guy who's probably the #2 best guy nationally a little slack. It'd be stupid to force such a talented fighter to start fighting overseas or something like that over a rule like that.

Comment

Yeah the rule against tattoos is essential dating back years to try and prevent and prohibit the yakuza.

Problem is many people in modern Japanese culture find them offensive as a result!

Comment

Personally I see no point in getting a tattoo. If you like it more power to you. If you dislike the rules then fight it. Until the rules change however you need to abide by them if you are going to be fighting under their authority.

Comment

It may be the style of his tattoo. Its a sleeve tattoo popular with gangs and criminals. The writing on his ribs look fine.

Comment

Stupid rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  Stupid rule.
                  Your sentiment screams of ignorance of someone not travelled and uncaring of another country’s culture. I’d expect it from someone that’s never left their own backyard.

I don’t agree with the rule however it doesn’t make it “stupid.”

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Spear View Post
                    Personally I see no point in getting a tattoo. If you like it more power to you. If you dislike the rules then fight it. Until the rules change however you need to abide by them if you are going to be fighting under their authority.
                    It did mention he got the tattoos while retired, but he also covered the sleeve with concealer before the fight, which came off during the bout. Was mentioned in the other article. He got the go ahead because they were concealed at the walk out.

Originally posted by Yodpayak View Post
                    It may be the style of his tattoo. Its a sleeve tattoo popular with gangs and criminals. The writing on his ribs look fine.
                    It's tattoos in general. Tattoos in Japan for the longest time were only worn by Yakuza members (Japanese Mafia)

Comment

Working...
                    X