Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: David Benavidez On Callum Smith: I Expected A Lot More From A Champion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: David Benavidez On Callum Smith: I Expected A Lot More From A Champion

For a while, David Benavidez rated Callum Smith as the best super middleweight in the world aside from himself. Now he is scratching his head as to what he was ever thinking after watching an overmatched Smith get dismantled over 12 rounds by Canelo Alvarez last Saturday at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I think he's right. To me Smith looked like he was beaten mentally before the fight even began. Was intimidated by Canelo's reputation. Having said that sometimes it's easy to think "he should do this or that" but it's easier said than done. Also I have to say a lot of people probably expected more from Benavidez when he was champ such as making weight and not doing drugs.

Comment

4 weeks notice and living in the UK, means probably at very best 2.5 weeks, maybe 3 weeks prep time... of course it was a cash out, not that Smith was any good anyway .

Comment

that is about how I felt after the fight, just kind of scratched my head. Sure I expected a fight did I study Smiths previous fights nope did not, took it for granted that he was something at the level he was rated at and I do seem to remember him and Groves reguardless of what I thought of Groves. Yes it set me off, still does. Only a few people have said what Benny said but it was more going on or not going on then just Canelo taking charge being the dominant fighter which he was. Smith limped out of his corner in Round # 1 and never did anything but back up and push a few arm shots out. Not trying to spit on Smith just a strange fight if you want to call it a fight. Can two facts exist in a fight one guy Smith was a big disapointment with no explanation and the other guy Canelo showed his ring skills on top of that. Time to move on. Hope Smith finds out what he is or is not before he gets in the ring again for his health and for the people who watch what is billed as high level boxing.
        BLUES

Comment

What did everyone expect?????? The only opponent with a heartbeat Canelo has fought since going to dayzin had been Jacobs and he tends to only fight to the level of opposition l, never exceeding it.
          Canelo wants the lowest risk versus highest reward. When we see him fighting the champions at pbc and top rank then we will see him in meaningful and challenging fights. He’s not going to fight BooBoo on dayzin. He’s fought almost all of Edward Hearn’s no hoper donestic level opposition....man let’s get on to a real fight now. Get off dayzin and reintroduce yourself to the American public, they’ve forgotten you

Comment

I think most people expected more from Callum Smith considering the fact that he was Wba super champion and Ring champion, but beyond the surface, this should’ve been expected. Smith was a domestic level guy who was relatively unproven. His biggest win was vs Groves (who’s best known for getting kod by Froch in front of a billion people at Wembley), his skills defensively and offensively are very basic and limited and even more importantly, he had 4 weeks notice, struggles to make 168 and deserved to lose to Ryder in his previous fight. In reality, the biggest surprise should’ve been that Canelo didn’t stop him.

Comment

I said the same thing about David.

Comment

Originally posted by moochi View Post
                4 weeks notice and living in the UK, means probably at very best 2.5 weeks, maybe 3 weeks prep time... of course it was a cash out, not that Smith was any good anyway .
                I'd actually suspect that Smith has been training with canelo in the back of his mind throughout this pandemic period. He always talked about this fight and wasn't looking to get any other fights.

It's easy for everyone to say after the fight that Smith maybe wasn't as good as he was rated but my perspective us that canelo was just so much better.

I also think that Smith's lack of any real strategy exposed Gallagher as an elite level coach. It's wasn't that Smith tried to execute a plan and wasn't able to; he just didn't seem to even gave one!

Comment

The irony.

Comment

He was the best of the family expected more but he chose to last distance then winning Callum

Comment

Working...
                    X