Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ring City USA Comes Out Swinging With New Boxing Series

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ring City USA Comes Out Swinging With New Boxing Series

By Jake Donovan - For the first time since the pandemic, the sport's middle class promoters can turn to a platform that provides a springboard for their fighters. Ironically, it comes in a series where those promoters' voices don't need to be heard nor their faces seen. So goes the concept of Ring City, a new series intent on bridging the gap between advanced...
    [Click Here To Read More]

No exclusive deal with any one promoter, instead open it up to all of them.

Force them to make fights with each other and then you really have something going.

Comment

Miguel Roman!!!!!!

Comment

More boxing is great. I just hope they don't turn into the usual always going the distance, high volume punchers with no damage. Those can be as boring as an inactive fight where guys move around a lot with the occasional single shot and move again. I'm not sure that'll turn over a lot of viewers...

Comment

I am going to give it a shot. I heard elsewhere that it was garbage I was like it has not aired yet. I just had to say that. Most boxing people know those behind this set up the main players. Even if it lasts six weeks and intro's some fighters and the announcers dont hype-a-fight all night, waste time with "was it a punch or a headbut" for an hour. Maybe they can bring some fighters to the screen and not tilt there hand every 30 seconds. Be interesting to see how they treat it
          Blues

Comment

Hell yes. Free boxing

Comment

I miss ESPN's Friday night fights for a reason- that show had some developing stars (I first saw Ruslan Provodnikov on it), but mostly it was "C" level fighters and club fighters going all in as they knew it was their only real shot on TV. I love ShowBox and miss it since I cancelled Showtime. This may fill that void for me... just fun boxing. I do not need spit and polish all the time. Sometimes the raw, brawling types give you exactly what you want.

I am in. All in.

Comment

ON that note of spit and polish which I like the pharase and it fits the article. I always enjoyed a good match up as much as two of the greatest fighters in the world (some say) feeling themselves out for half a fight all the skill and past performance is there to see and it is fine. But to see a developing fighter(s) a bit raw, but good enough to know the fight game that is nice sport. The match ups always made the fight what it is. Sometimes it is from the matchmaker alone other times the dust just falls in the ring over the fighters. And we get a real fight, not fully developed yet but a good fight. And the guys in the background of this "Ring City" have a history of talking about wanting fights that lead to fights. So if they hold true to there words that I heard them speak it could break into some good boxing. And IF they call it as they see it from the booth then we could have something. Lot to ask for, even more to hope for but that is boxing to me. Dont tell me who is winning two weeks before the fight, dont show how much you are in the corner of a particular fighter just set it up and let it roll. Like I said lot to ask for these days worth a look.
                BLUES

Comment

Sounds good to me - have to like that these guys have already put years into planning it as well.

"no rights, just fights"

Comment

As a kid, I used to record the Tuesday and Friday night fights on VHS. I just enjoy scraps, I enjoy regional rivalries, styles making fights, and the personalities of unknowns.

Remember watching Scotty "The Bulldog" Olsen, Rockin' Rodney Moore and a host of others. Remember nicknames and not boxers like The Pink Panther, Brick City and the Haitian Hammer. I also remember great drama like the Ouellet/Hilton trilogy and great tragedy such as Beethaven Scottland.

Point being, I think we need more series like this. The fighters that aren't necessarily P4P or ATG or even potential champions can still make compelling TV.

Comment

Working...
                    X