Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Robin Reid Discusses Time as World Champion, Joe Calzaghe Anti-Knife Campaign

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Robin Reid Discusses Time as World Champion, Joe Calzaghe Anti-Knife Campaign

Former IBO and WBC world champion Robin Reid has turned his attention after boxing to preventing knife crime in local communities. Runcorn's Grim Reaper' was a two-time world champion, making multiple defenses of his WBC and IBO world titles and infamously giving Joe Calzaghe what was arguably the toughest fight of Calzaghe's career.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Class act, always been a class act, and he definitely beat Calzaghe. Was one of my favourites back in the days of yore. I see he has turned into quite an advocate for delinquent youth. Go on Robin! And by the way, both Jones and Hopkins were well past their primes when Joe got them. Hopkins was at his pinnacle with his win over Trinidad and Jones with John Ruiz...it was the losing close to two stone weight loss than did Jones’ legs and punch resistance in....and the damage he took forthwith
    Last edited by Oldskoolg; 11-03-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
      Class act, always been a class act, and he definitely beat Calzaghe. Was one of my favourites back in the days of yore. I see he has turned into quite an advocate for delinquent youth. Go on Robin! And by the way, both Jones and Hopkins were well past their primes when Joe got them. Hopkins was at his pinnacle with his win over Trinidad and Jones with John Ruiz...it was the losing close to two stone weight loss than did Jones’ legs and punch resistance in....and the damage he took forthwith
      I agree with u on the Roy Jones analogy. I always said if he had not moved up with that much weight and came down so quickly. At least take a yr off to lose that muscle weight properly. He would have fuxkked Tarver up it wouldn't have been a rematch and Glen Johnson would never came at Roy the way he fought him Roy would still have that aura about him and we may have never seen the KOs

Comment

I always found Reid to be a little underrated in hindsight.

The referee display in his fight with Ottke is still up their with one of the worst I've seen.

Comment

I was never a fan of his edgy, jitterbug style but he got absolutely fkn robbed in Germany. I remember the ref REPEATEDLY warning Reidy for punching Ottke in the face. It was hilarious. Never seen anything like it before or since.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodogg View Post
            I agree with u on the Roy Jones analogy. I always said if he had not moved up with that much weight and came down so quickly. At least take a yr off to lose that muscle weight properly. He would have fuxkked Tarver up it wouldn't have been a rematch and Glen Johnson would never came at Roy the way he fought him Roy would still have that aura about him and we may have never seen the KOs
            You could see it in the first fight with Tarver, it was like his legs were in a bog. His reflexes were nowhere near as sharp, and he just had zero punch resistance. When Lou Del Valle floored Roy, Roy got up and won the fight. When tarver and then Johnson got him, he looked terrible. When he fought Ruiz he was 197 of pure muscle so that tells me he crashed lost nothing but water and muscle in a very short time

Comment

Wasn't RR a part-timer pron-star too?

Comment

He's another guy who's career would've been different if "controversial" decisions hadn't gone against them.

Imagine if he has wins against Ottke & Calzaghe?

Crazy.

Also, it's crazy as an American to see people having to have "anti-knife" crime initiatives.

If a dude pulled a knife on me, I'd probably start laughing at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                  I always found Reid to be a little underrated in hindsight.

The referee display in his fight with Ottke is still up their with one of the worst I've seen.

If my memory is correct he was getting warnings for hitting him cleanly at one point, I may be remembering wrongly but can remember bring outraged at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Armchairhero View Post
                    If my memory is correct he was getting warnings for hitting him cleanly at one point, I may be remembering wrongly but can remember bring outraged at the time.
                    Yes mate you're right. It's been a while since I rewatched it but one of the things that stands out was the ref breaking up the fight and warning Reid when all he was doing was landing clean, legal punches. Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                    X