No announcement yet.

Evander Holyfield – Flickering Flame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evander Holyfield – Flickering Flame

When Evander Holyfield steps into the ring this Friday night against Jeremy Bates, the bout will be broadcast on the Fox Sports Network. Holyfield’s name alone will garner curiosity seekers and some of those who don’t closely follow boxing might just assume that this televised bout is a rebroadcast of a classic Holyfield battle because even non-boxing fans must be shaking their heads and wondering aloud, “Holyfield? Is he still fighting?”

Indeed he is, despite the fact that he is 2–2–5 in his last nine fights and so far removed from his fistic heyday that these meaningless bouts against the Larry Donald(s) and John Ruiz(s) of the world threaten to tarnish a glorious reputation. Couple the fact that he can’t beat these guys with the alarming degeneration of both his motor skills and speech pattern and Holyfield is becoming yet another proud champion reduced to physical and mental rubble by the very sport that built him up into a monolithic champion. It is a sad and very old story told too many times, without the benefit of an alternate ending to make it interesting. [details]

I'm guessing Holyfield is still in good shape and will be competitive, probably win over the professional he is fighting Friday.

If he wants to keep going, I say let him keep going, at least as long as he continues to pass physicals.

He shouldn't be thought of as a title contender, but why should that keep him from continuing to participate in the sport he loves? He's a grown man; quit calling for his retirement. Unless this bum he's fighting Friday KOs him. Then maybe I'll be less positive...

Comment

Working...
    X