Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Does Not Rule Out De La Hoya Fight, Wants To Win World Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez Does Not Rule Out De La Hoya Fight, Wants To Win World Title

Former two division world champion Sergio Martinez, 45-years-old, returned to the ring on August 21 and picked up a TKO victory in seven rounds. It was Martinez's first fight since 2014, when he was stopped by Miguel Cotto in a WBC middleweight title fight.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Rather they both go this route than get destroyed by actual contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyc420 View Post
      Rather they both go this route than get destroyed by actual contenders.
      I guess. Seems like every old pugilist catching that Tyson bug. ODLH, Byrd and Sergio....you're right tho, don't want to see them against real opponents if I have to see them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
        I guess. Seems like every old pugilist catching that Tyson bug. ODLH, Byrd and Sergio....you're right tho, don't want to see them against real opponents if I have to see them at all.
        Yes I am not big on near 50 year olds still trying to chase the spot light either. Their time has passed.

Comment

The only opponent I wanna see Martinez fight is Margacheato! I think Margacheato used loaded wraps plaster of Paris to beat him in their fight! Who else thinks that?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
            The only opponent I wanna see Martinez fight is Margacheato! I think Margacheato used loaded wraps plaster of Paris to beat him in their fight! Who else thinks that?
            I wouldn't put it past Margarito, he was on a helluva stoppage streak at that point. To be honest, I had completely forgot that Margarito had handed him his first loss. If he was using loaded wraps it makes you wonder how Daniel Santos managed to beat him at that time. I vaguely remember their fights.

Comment

Would be a great fight, ODLH by late stoppage.

Comment

That would be an interesting fight as well. Both are past it and handicapped too, but they can settle it again

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  Would be a great fight, ODLH by late stoppage.
                  If Oscar can still punch I think he'd KO Margarito early because Margarito was getting hurt by every punch in his last fight a year or two ago. Margarito was staggering all over the ring and the ref saved him many times. That fight was a complete farce and a joke. Margarito is beyond shot!

Comment

What nonsense

"Who else thinks that"...I don't know but certainly not ME. You seem to know nothing about the Margarito controversy. There were NO loaded wraps. There was a used knuckle pad instead of a new one. The Commissioner who was the first to look at it said that it looked as if there had been a few drops of sweat or water on it.

The big fuss by the fat guy with the little porky cap, Richardson, was gamesmanship, all to demoralize Margarito, who paid very little attention to his fist wrappings; it was a routine thing with him, done thousands of times. The hullaballoo about the "plaster" was just more nonsense caused by finding a few atoms of talcum powder on the pad.

People (who, like you, were NOT there) said that bricks dropped with a thud onto the floor, the crazies went mad about it all over these pages for years. It died away, but now you are bringing it back to artificial life..like Dr. Frankenstein.. The commission found him NOT at fault, but because of the great fuss and the fact that "technically" the pad should have been new, not used, he was banned for their minimum time, a year. They said that he was the boxer and should have paid more attention.

I recall vividly the test that was done in about 1963-4 (?) by Boxing Illustrated, to check into the story bruited about by Jack Kearns, Dempsey's manager who said he put dry plaster of paris in Dempsey's gloves, then dipped his fists in water, thus hardening them. This was to sell a book he wrote full of discredited information about the Willard fight, and to get back at Dempsey. He was broke and trying to raise a few dollars.

Anyway, they simulated what Kearns had described, and baked the fists in a carefully controlled oven until rock hard. It was done over a five hour period. (I have that BI copy. I have years of Ring and BI even the first issue)
                    The boxer was Cleveland Williams, one of the most feared punchers in the game. He said that after the second punch on the heavy bag he felt the plaster crumble, after the third they stopped and found only dust. In fact, the experts said that if it had not crumbled into dust the broken shards would have cut the fighter's hands to ribbons.

They all concluded that Kearns' yarn was a total fabrication.

AND I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THEM.

There were NO LOADED WRAPS. Margarito was undeservedly blamed for a myth, which became the urban legend that you just repeated.

I personally having been in a law office for over 4 years when young, was interested enough to read the total documentation from the Commissions the courts and etc. The "microscopic traces of two elements of plaster of paris" were just that MICROSCOPIC TRACES, and only seen with an ELECTRON microscope.(I think from NASA) They added that these items are found in every kitchen around the globe. They also are used in almost every cosmetic made.

So stop telling fibs. Margarito was an honest boxer.

It reminds me of what Emmanuel Augustus said when he recovered from the gunshot . "I loved boxing, but it didn't love me".. this from a guy who with proper management and training could easily have been a world champ.
                    Last edited by edgarg; 09-15-2020, 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling correction "ss" instead of "zz"

Comment

Working...
                    X