Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Akira Yaegashi, Former Three-Division Champ, Announces Retirement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Akira Yaegashi, Former Three-Division Champ, Announces Retirement

One of the greatest in-ring action heroes of the 21st century has elected to call it a career. Former three-division champion Akira Yaegashi has officially hung up his boxing gloves, announcing his retirement on Tuesday after 14 years in the pro ranks.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Good underated fighter who fought too high above his natural weight class enjoy retirement champ

Comment

Very underrated boxer. If nobody has ever seen any of his fights, mainly because he fought at strawweight, light flyweight and flyweight, so understandable if nobody has but I'd highly recommend checking out some of his fights. If I had to pick just one, his fight against ****sawan Porpramook, which was at strawweight, is one of the craziest and most insane wars I have ever seen in the lower weight classes. Highly underrated fight and probably the best fight ever at strawweight. Enjoy retirement champ.

Comment

One of Akira Yaegashi's notable accomplishments was being involved in a very significant match that marked the first time two Japanese fighters had met to unify world titles ( WBA-WBC mini-weight) vs. the current WBO Superflyweight champion Kazuto Ioka, in 2012.

You can tell that not only did Akira Yaegashi understood the importance of that historic unification, but also the ring-side doctors knew what was at stake in the fact that they allowed Yaegashi to fight on with a severe haematoma on his left eye, whilst his other eye was closing early in the fight.

Akira, was a warrior from the beginning: in 2007, in his first shot at the WBC miniweight championship, Yaegashi suffered a broken jaw against the Thai champ Eagle Den Junlaphan in the second round, but fought on despite the injury.

Failing to win a world-title the first time would not break Akira's everlasting will. As another poster mentioned, in 2011 Akira got a second opportunity at a world-title, this time against another champion from Thailand The Tank/****sawan Porpramook/*
        Som**** Seeta. Porpramook vs. Yaegashi was considered 2011 FOTY by renown publications in the sport, namely Boxingscene and ESPN.

There is more in Akira's catalogue of work, he might never get in the HOF but he wont be forgotten in Japanese boxing history.

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderFists View Post
          Good underated fighter who fought too high above his natural weight class enjoy retirement champ
          Was about to post the exact same thing.

Comment

The Japanese/Asian boxing audience have a far more sensible, and forgiving, attitude towards losses than their western counterparts.

Comment

Great little fighter. I expected him to retire after the Melindo loss but he obviously wanted one more shot, he was actually pretty competitive with Mthalane up until the stoppage.

Great career. Enjoy retirement champ.

Comment

Yaegashi great Japanese fighter better than most Mexican cheats.

Comment

Wow!!!

Was thinking about my dude Yaegashi the other day.

Will be remembered as a fighter who left it all in the ring and dared to try and be great.

Will update my sig list tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                  X