Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire: I Know After Inoue Fight I Have A Lot Of Gas In My Tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire: I Know After Inoue Fight I Have A Lot Of Gas In My Tank

Nonito Donaire didn't even know how much elite-level boxing he had left in him two years ago. Donaire, then 35, had just lost nine rounds to Carl Frampton on all three scorecards in a 12-round featherweight title fight in Belfast. That was his second one-sided defeat in three fights, seemingly a sure sign that his terrific career was winding down.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Might have enough gas in the tank against Oubali or a Rigondeaux rematch to both KO them but not a rematch against Inoue IMO.

Comment

Nonito Donaire was unexpectedly in outstanding form when he faced Naoya Inoue in the finals of the WBSS bantamweight championship, considering Donaire managed to carry his timing and power deep into the intense-firefight ; in spite coming down from featherweight : hurting Naoya Inoue in the 9th, and managing to not only get up in the 11th but also returning fire that caught the 'Monster' by surprise.

However, experts say that some fights take a piece out of boxers, the 2019 FOTY classic did just that, it took a chunk out of Naoya Inoue, as it cost the three weight unified champion a orbital-bone injury as the price for victory in the classic. Likewise for Nonito Donaire, taking into account the ferocity of Inoue vs. Donaire, the amount of damage that Nonito Donaire suffered presents the following question, how much is left of the 'Filipino Flash' ?

Specifically, is there enough in the tank to defeat the WBC bantamweight champion Nordine Oubaali? I guess that not only depends on whats left in Donaire but also how good Oubaali is -- I don't believe Nordine is on Inoue level, that's the only thing I'm certain of.

Comment

Originally posted by Thraxox View Post
        Might have enough gas in the tank against Oubali or a Rigondeaux rematch to both KO them but not a rematch against Inoue IMO.
        What sticks in my mind is the punishment Donaire took late on in the fight after he went down. To be fair, he was still throwing after that with the chance to land something big, but he ate a lot of flush shots and at his age there has to be a cost to that.

Also, thinking off all the hoohaa about Fury's count vs Wilder and was it 9.9 or 10.1 seconds etc, in the 11th the referee blocked Inoue from continuing to punch at 1.52 to go in the round
        - 1.49 to go ref starts counting (count started 3 secs late)
        - 1.35 to go in the round ref about to reach 10 and Donaire gets up (10 count lasted 14 seconds)
        - 1.32 to go in round referee waves action back on

Donaire was a bit fortunate to not have the same ref as in Fury/Wilder who knew how to count seconds off with accuracy. Donaire struggled for the rest of the round even with the extra 10 secs, take that away from him and he may not have finished the round.
        Last edited by angkag; 06-05-2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
          What sticks in my mind is the punishment Donaire took late on in the fight after he went down. To be fair, he was still throwing after that with the chance to land something big, but he ate a lot of flush shots and at his age there has to be a cost to that.

Also, thinking off all the hoohaa about Fury's count vs Wilder and was it 9.9 or 10.1 seconds etc, in the 11th the referee blocked Inoue from continuing to punch at 1.52 to go in the round
          - 1.49 to go ref starts counting (count started 3 secs late)
          - 1.35 to go in the round ref about to reach 10 and Donaire gets up (10 count lasted 14 seconds)
          - 1.32 to go in round referee waves action back on

Donaire was a bit fortunate to not have the same ref as in Fury/Wilder who knew how to count seconds off with accuracy. Donaire struggled for the rest of the round even with the extra 10 secs, take that away from him and he may not have finished the round.
          The ref also ran in the way of Inoue when he hurt him. Not that I care. Both guys amazing

Comment

Originally posted by JuanSkinner View Post
            The ref also ran in the way of Inoue when he hurt him. Not that I care. Both guys amazing
            I agree - both guys were superb. It was the 1.52 mark that the ref ran in the way of Inoue before Donaire went down, which I guess meant that a count should have started from then ? Donaire wasn't down though, he was backing off hurt - meantime Inoue looked a bit confused about what to do (as Donaire wasn't down but backing off unable to defend himself), then as Inoue came to the conclusion 'not down, attack', that was when the ref blocked him.

I think the ref got confused along with Inoue, as there was no basis to stop Inoue punching unless he was going to start a count, which he didn't do until Donaire actually took a knee 3 seconds later. If Donaire didn't take a knee - what exactly was the ref going to do ? Check he was ok before resuming the fight without a count ? Standing count ? I didn't see him order Inoue to a neutral corner either (maybe he did - was a bit off camera).

Comment

One of the best fights in modern memory. I honestly though Donaire was going to be airlifted to hospital but his brave and gritty performance blew me away. He went after Inoue! Madness
              And for me, the way Inoue composed himself again after being hurt and going through that bad spell was huge. He is a true warrior as well.

Comment

At his age, and clean, it remains to be seen how much his fight with Inoue has taken from him.
                If he still has a lot left, he has a decent chance against Oubaali but I think Rigo beats him again.

Comment

Working...
                X