Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Froch Reacts To Groves: Referee Did Him a Massive Favor in First Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Froch Reacts To Groves: Referee Did Him a Massive Favor in First Fight

A few days ago, George Groves explained that he was still in firm disagreement with referee Howard Foster's decision to stop his first bout with Carl Froch in the ninth round. Groves had dropped Froch in the first and was up on all three of the official scorecards when the contest was stopped.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He did. Fight fans need to realise referees are closer to the action.

If you've thumped someone before, you can see in their eyes when they've lost several seconds and barely know where the **** they are. Then there is the heavy breathing and overall change in pace.

If it continued, the fight would be seen as a bad mark on the sport.

Comment

There seem to be more stories about Froch now than when he was active. Almost daily were hearing who he'd have beaten or who he actually did beat better than you realise he did.Or who he's got beef with or what he thinks of someone who's completely unconnected with him. He was good, but not great. He's been retired a while. He's got the personality of an afterbirth. What's the obsession with him?

Comment

No, George you blew it. Froch was visibly hurt from that knockdown but instead of going for broke; You just simply chose to coast.

Once you have an opponent hurt you don't allow them to escape and let them off the hook they way you did. You have to go in for the kill and finish them; Something which you were very reluctant and failed to do.

That was your moment of glory to shine and yet you pissed it all away.

Comment

It seems more logical stopping it because Ultimately the result was always going to be the same from the 6th round. However that doesn't stop the fact that it was stopped prematurely imo. Yes sounds contradicting I know but it was rather quick..however the result would have been the same.

I remember talk beforehand from a lot of folk about how Froch gets favourable decisions from referees and judges and at the time while the fight was happening and Groves was up then Froch came back and bam, instant stoppage made the situation a little worse than what it should have..

As I say The result was never in doubt because groves was tiring quickly.

There was no massive favour, that's just Froch and his usual brain farts..

Comment

I'm one of the few who didn't see that as an early stoppage. Groves was cooked, and he was saved from being Cobra'd the first time out.

Comment

Yeah Froch would've KO'd him out eventually, the guy has several gears. Against Jermain Taylor he'd been knocked down and was trailing on all three judges cards so needed to stop him in that 12th round and he did precisely that. Groves would've just got increasingly tired later on as he was loading up with every shot he threw and Froch would've almost certainly got to him.

Comment

I remember that, when he fought Wembley in front of 80,000 George Groves. Too big, too strong. What a dance partner.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunch Pag View Post
                  It seems more logical stopping it because Ultimately the result was always going to be the same from the 6th round. However that doesn't stop the fact that it was stopped prematurely imo. Yes sounds contradicting I know but it was rather quick..however the result would have been the same.

I remember talk beforehand from a lot of folk about how Froch gets favourable decisions from referees and judges and at the time while the fight was happening and Groves was up then Froch came back and bam, instant stoppage made the situation a little worse than what it should have..

As I say The result was never in doubt because groves was tiring quickly.

There was no massive favour, that's just Froch and his usual brain farts..
                  It doesn’t sound contradictory, I understand exactly what you mean. It’s entirely understandable to believe the fight was going away from groves and the result was almost inevitable and also that the stoppage was premature.

There is no way at the time of the stoppage groves was in a position in which he couldn’t continue, and the fight was still competitive enough, it wasn’t like the fury v wilder rematch which was painful to watch.

It’s not the refs job to determine what might happen in the next couple of rounds, the stoppage should be justifiable in the moment. I honestly don’t believe that if froch was in the state groves was in round 9 the fight would have been stopped, he would have got the benefit of the doubt and be allowed to continue.
                  I can’t agree that the ref did groves a favour as no fighter likes to be pulled out before they’re done, it’s the officials job to let the fight reach its natural conclusion as long as a fighters health is at imminent risk, which groves wasn’t.

It’s also cheating the fans, if we start stopping fights early based on probable outcomes we deny ourselves some of the most memorable fights in history like Castillo v corrales etc.

On a side note if I ever tried to talk about myself in the third person like froch does I’d vomit in my own mouth

Comment

Froch aged like Milk.

Dude cries more than any other fighter and is a biased revisionist. Pathetic

Comment

Working...
                    X