Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Groves Still Disagrees: I Never, Ever Needed Saving in First Froch Fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Groves Still Disagrees: I Never, Ever Needed Saving in First Froch Fight!

George Groves recently reflected on his two fight series with fellow former super middleweight world champion Carl Froch. In 2013, Groves dropped Froch in the first round and was up on all three scorecards when the contest was stopped in the seventh round.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I believe Groves. You don't always need to look fantastic while in ring. I know boxers supposes to be poker faced to not show discomfort and the minute you do, the ref is thinking to stop it?

Comment

I know a lot of people gonna disagree with me here, but I saw the end was on the cards within a round or two for George anyway, and people don't seem to notice that he'd been buzzed badly something like 30 seconds before the fight was waved and never really got his wits back together or his feet back under him properly.

Too soon? For sure, but the momentum had swung and Froch was increasingly turning up the pressure whereas Groves was starting to fade round by round. Least that's my recollection. Not a fight I mind revisiting though...

YouTube HD is better but won't view from embed: https://youtu.be/0WrVHmfdES0

Oh yeah, and God bless the Scene staffers for their hard work, but they need better proof readers - I should maybe offer my services:

And obviously he believes referee Howard Foster should have allowed the contest to continue in the seventh

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much as I recall. The Saint tight as hell with his herky jerky style early rounds, but burning energy too fast and starting to look increasing ragged and not as sharp by 6 or 7. Caught by a looping left out of the corner by Carl right on the 2:00 mark of round 9 which takes his legs and leaves him wobbly for the 30 remaining seconds or so til it's waved. It was too early and George was still trying to fire back even though his wits weren't quite there. Minute and a half left? He may have made it... may have got hias wits back between rounds, but to my eyes he was reaching the end of his tank.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 05-27-2020, 04:14 AM.

Comment

The ref jumped in prematurely most definitely in the first fight. He has to make a snap decision which I understand but this one was too quick..

Second one was just a formality for Froch

Comment

You would have been stopped.

Comment

Tyson Fury has a chin like Carl Froch ; they get KO but dont even know it.

Comment

Howard Foster saved George's career and bank balance that night. He should be eternally grateful that he was stopped as he earned many millions in the rematch that wouldn't;t have happened if the first fight had ended like the 2nd one. Could he have let it go a little bit longer? Possibly, but he fight was over, Groves was losing that round anyway and there was still 90 seconds left and plenty of time for him to get badly knocked out.

Comment

I always thought it was a reasonable stoppage, he has his arms by his side, head down and was stumbling across the ring.

People think it was a worse stoppage than it was because he'd floored Froch in the first round and had won the first 6 rounds.

The Jim Watt commentary on that fight was awful, saying a headbutt from George Groves was 'the foolishness of youth' *facepalm*

Comment

Aren’t fights in Britain stopped working prematurely ever since McClellan

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
                    I know a lot of people gonna disagree with me here, but I saw the end was on the cards within a round or two for George anyway, and people don't seem to notice that he'd been buzzed badly something like 30 seconds before the fight was waved and never really got his wits back together or his feet back under him properly.

Too soon? For sure, but the momentum had swung and Froch was increasingly turning up the pressure whereas Groves was starting to fade round by round. Least that's my recollection. Not a fight I mind revisiting though...

YouTube HD is better but won't view from embed: https://youtu.be/0WrVHmfdES0

Oh yeah, and God bless the Scene staffers for their hard work, but they need better proof readers - I should maybe offer my services:

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much as I recall. The Saint tight as hell with his herky jerky style early rounds, but burning energy too fast and starting to look increasing ragged and not as sharp by 6 or 7. Caught by a looping left out of the corner by Carl right on the 2:00 mark of round 9 which takes his legs and leaves him wobbly for the 30 remaining seconds or so til it's waved. It was too early and George was still trying to fire back even though his wits weren't quite there. Minute and a half left? He may have made it... may have got hias wits back between rounds, but to my eyes he was reaching the end of his tank.
                    It’s a really badly researched article, the fight obviously didn’t get stopped in the seventh and at the end of the fight. There was even a stink afterwards as foster had predicted froch to stop groves in that round on his Facebook page.
                    Also at the time of the stoppage at least one judge controversially had the fight level.

Comment

Working...
                    X