Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jamel Herring Reveals That Denis Shafikov Was Toughest Fight of Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jamel Herring Reveals That Denis Shafikov Was Toughest Fight of Career

Jamel Herring (21-2) became a world champion last May when he defeated Masayuki Ito by unanimous decision to capture the WBO super featherweight title in Kissimmee, Florida. He followed that victory up with another win via unanimous decision, over mandatory challenger Lamont Roach, in November and planned on facing former two-division champion Carl Frampton in his backyard in Belfast this spring or summer. Those plans have been put on hold with the current covid-19 pandemic shutting down the sports world.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I'd have to agree based on my eyes watching his fights. Shafikov came into that fight off the Barthelemy loss but it was apparent he was a live dog; I believe the fight was on ESPN and Teddy Atlas felt that Shafikov would give Herring problems and possibly upset him.

Denis mauled Jamel in that fight, walked through his shots and broke him down (IIRC). Shafikov is no slouch, he may be outboxed but he's tough as nails and always brings the fight. It's a testament to Herring that he learned from that fight, he definitely seems a much improved boxer now.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
      I'd have to agree based on my eyes watching his fights. Shafikov came into that fight off the Barthelemy loss but it was apparent he was a live dog; I believe the fight was on ESPN and Teddy Atlas felt that Shafikov would give Herring problems and possibly upset him.

Denis mauled Jamel in that fight, walked through his shots and broke him down (IIRC). Shafikov is no slouch, he may be outboxed but he's tough as nails and always brings the fight. It's a testament to Herring that he learned from that fight, he definitely seems a much improved boxer now.
      Denis gave a real tough fight to Rances as I recall it and the scorecards were waaaay wide even if you thought (as I did) that Rances maybe edged it. The Commey fight really coulda gona either way, and the cards in the Easter fight were an absolute travesty.. probably you might lean towards Robert but a Draw wouldn't have been a terrible result to my eyes...

In short at his peak Denis Shafikov was a real handful for anyone outside the elite - a relentless little terrier - only dude who really had his number at that time was Titere. That sustained high volume swarming style is real hard one to deal with, especially for a dude with a relative lack of experience at the time like Herring... could see any number of todays top young prospects simply being unable to keep their composure under that kinda persistent assault. Dudes like Shafikov are excatly the kinda fights you need to see if your guy is ready for the top boys if you're a believer in the sink or swim philosophy - fact I'd imagine it was a real good learning experience for Jamel... shame it kinda derailed him just as he was starting to build some momentum though. Herring seems to be one of the good guys but he just ain't good enough and started to late to ever get much further than he has alrready in my estimation. At 34 he's already on the slide especially at the weight and I wouldn't give him much of a shot against any of the other champions.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 05-07-2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

He should stay away from LW division

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post

I could NOT believe that Shafikov was the underdog. I just didn't understand it at all, especially after his performances against Barthelemy and Commey. Told my buddy who is a big sports gambler to put money on Shafikov...He watches hardly any boxing so he didn't have a clue but he put some solid money on Shafikov and was happy with the result. He even made another bet with Shafikov by stoppage...I didn't tell him to do that but said the odds for that were great so he came out a big winner that night.

Herring is still a hard read for me. Has improved some but I just don't rate him highly.

Comment

Originally posted by Satir View Post
            He should stay away from LW division
            Why? I was thinking on going on back for another go around 😔

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
              Denis gave a real tough fight to Rances as I recall it and the scorecards were waaaay wide even if you thought (as I did) that Rances maybe edged it. The Commey fight really coulda gona either way, and the cards in the Easter fight were an absolute travesty.. probably you might lean towards Robert but a Draw wouldn't have been a terrible result to my eyes...

In short at his peak Denis Shafikov was a real handful for anyone outside the elite - a relentless little terrier - only dude who really had his number at that time was Titere. That sustained high volume swarming style is real hard one to deal with, especially for a dude with a relative lack of experience at the time like Herring... could see any number of todays top young prospects simply being unable to keep their composure under that kinda persistent assault. Dudes like Shafikov are excatly the kinda fights you need to see if your guy is ready for the top boys if you're a believer in the sink or swim philosophy - fact I'd imagine it was a real good learning experience for Jamel... shame it kinda derailed him just as he was starting to build some momentum though. Herring seems to be one of the good guys but he just ain't good enough and started to late to ever get much further than he has alrready in my estimation. At 34 he's already on the slide especially at the weight and I wouldn't give him much of a shot against any of the other champions.
              When Shafikov moved down in weight I thought he would take over. I was surprised when Rene Alvarado beat him.

Comment

Working...
              X