Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Pacquiao Money Trail Leaves Mixed Bag Of Emotions 5 Years Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Mayweather-Pacquiao Money Trail Leaves Mixed Bag Of Emotions 5 Years Later

By Manouk Akopyan - Top Rank boss Bob Arum has presided over two-thousand fight cards in the last five-plus decades, and although he was a part of 27 Muhammad Ali fights, he didn't have the honor of promoting the "Fight of the Century" between Ali and Joe Frazier in 1971. That distinction went to Jerry Perenchio. The 88-year-old Arum, however...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Wow 5 years already huh.... time really flies...

Comment

The article states that Pacquiao killed the fight in 2009 because he wouldn't do drug testing.

But then states that Mayweather was good at waiting for the right time to make fights.

You can't blame Floyd for waiting for the right time. He was ready in 2009 but it was Pacquiao who fucked it up.

Comment

Should've been 3 fights.

Hundreds of millions dollars lost.

Comment

This fight was gonna be the same in 2009, 2010, 2011, as it was in 2015. Fans and media want to act like if this fight happened in 2009, that there was going to be rainbows and unicorns in the arena, and that Pacquiao was gonna throw 1,500 punches and Mayweather was gonna get outworked.

In reality, counterpunchers like JMM and Mayweather always drop Pacquiao’s work rate considerably and Mayweather vs Pacquiao was always going to be a somewhat competitive fight with Mayweather edging Pacquiao in any year they fought.

The way the fight turned out in 2015 was my exact, and a lot fans exact predictions. It was going to be a rather boring 12 round fight that was never going to stylistically live up to the hype. No Pacquiao was never going to KO Mayweather, and no Mayweather was never going to beat Pacquiao 120-108. Mayweather was always going to beat Pacquiao at least 8 rounds to 4, with Pac’s best probably being winning 5 rounds out of 12. At his very best.

So writers and some fans can imagine the magical time of 2009-2010 when this fight was supposedly gonna be a barn burner or something, but is is all imaginary in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            The article states that Pacquiao killed the fight in 2009 because he wouldn't do drug testing.

But then states that Mayweather was good at waiting for the right time to make fights.

You can't blame Floyd for waiting for the right time. He was ready in 2009 but it was Pacquiao who fucked it up.
            I didn’t read the article, i’m about to, but based on your post I already know who wrote it. If i’m wrong, I will admit it. But i’m 95% sure I know who wrote it. He is sneakier with his Floyd hate now, but he used to a lot worse. Your post describes the writer I have in mind

Edit: I was wrong, it’s not who I thought. Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post

history has proven that was a bluff as he later refused to fight under those same conditions so no he was not ready. he was ready to pretend he was ready. 40 million no ppv! not ready. to think the fight would have happened if pac had called his bluff earlier is illogical.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                This fight was gonna be the same in 2009, 2010, 2011, as it was in 2015. Fans and media want to act like if this fight happened in 2009, that there was going to be rainbows and unicorns in the arena, and that Pacquiao was gonna throw 1,500 punches and Mayweather was gonna get outworked.

In reality, counterpunchers like JMM and Mayweather always drop Pacquiao’s work rate considerably and Mayweather vs Pacquiao was always going to be a somewhat competitive fight with Mayweather edging Pacquiao in any year they fought.

The way the fight turned out in 2015 was my exact, and a lot fans exact predictions. It was going to be a rather boring 12 round fight that was never going to stylistically live up to the hype. No Pacquiao was never going to KO Mayweather, and no Mayweather was never going to beat Pacquiao 120-108. Mayweather was always going to beat Pacquiao at least 8 rounds to 4, with Pac’s best probably being winning 5 rounds out of 12. At his very best.

So writers and some fans can imagine the magical time of 2009-2010 when this fight was supposedly gonna be a barn burner or something, but is is all imaginary in the end.
                pac landed the better punches. was that always going to happen? you would think floyd would do better in 2009. but not pac of course...

Comment

Originally posted by SNlPER View Post
                  Should've been 3 fights.

Hundreds of millions dollars lost.
                  I understand where ur coming from. But that’s just not the precedent of boxing sadly. There was a time when it seemed the consensus was that the fight was never going to happen. Fights aren’t easy to make in modern boxing. I always thought the fight would happen because there was so much money. I didn’t think either of them were “scared”. But this is how the prices and purses of boxing’s hugest fights get driven up. In the end it’s like us fans were “lucky” to get it. It also did way more buys than anyone expected, even after most people thought it’d be deflated from being hyped for so long. But it’s also on us fans. After all the dragged out hype and negotiations, we pretended to be over it, but we actually bought into it huge when it finally happened like it was sum sort of miracle. Both fighters were older than we woulda wanted for sure. I woulda loved to have seen them fight three times for sure, even a different weight thrown in maybe. But it just never would have happened. They got the most they coulda got for the least output. Would a rematch have done half as many buys? A third? Still the most money they coulda made, but that’s boxing.

Comment

how can someone watch a fight between 2 faded guys where one guy lands the much better punches and loses and say "well knew that would always happen" floyd would always win 8 rounds? 7 at worst? ok you think floyd won thats nice but how do you know that will always happen when both guys are so past it? i think pac won becasue as stated he was landing clean shots and flyod wasnt but i dont know that would always happen. maybe a better version of floyd actually lands clean shots and isnt so hesitant. maybe pac knocks him out. maybe floyd knocks pac out. neither guy established dominance over the other and neither guy was close to prime "that was always going to happen" lol

Comment

Working...
                    X