Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Goossen: 'Sadistic' Corrales-Castillo Rematch Just Too Soon After First Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Goossen: 'Sadistic' Corrales-Castillo Rematch Just Too Soon After First Fight

Joe Goossen was very nervous. The last thing Diego Corrales needed only five months after somehow winning one of the most brutal battles in recent boxing history was an immediate rematch with Jose Luis Castillo. Goossen knew that wasn't nearly enough time for the respected trainer's fighter to recover from all the physical damage he endured in their incredible lightweight title fight in May 2005 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
    [Click Here To Read More]

“His two fights with Castillo took so much out of Diego,” Goossen said. “He just wasn’t the same after those two fights in 2005.”

Very sad but fascinating how the body works. I have a theory, not based in any way on medical training, that what harms the brain most are the small number of really severe beatings that a fighter takes in one or two fights, maybe even one or two rounds, not the countless thousands of lighter punches a boxer takes through his career.

This is just a hunch and every human body is different. Some can take bearings like Homer Simpson. Others simply can’t.

I notice that NFL running backs often suffer a sudden drop off in performance, or a major injury, after a period of severe overuse, or a few games in a row with 30 touches. It’s not so much a gradual thing with a lot of runners. They have “it” and then it’s all but gone a season or two later. This seems to support my theory which is anecdotal.

Interested in anyone’s response.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeh333 View Post
      “His two fights with Castillo took so much out of Diego,” Goossen said. “He just wasn’t the same after those two fights in 2005.”

Very sad but fascinating how the body works. I have a theory, not based in any way on medical training, that what harms the brain most are the small number of really severe beatings that a fighter takes in one or two fights, maybe even one or two rounds, not the countless thousands of lighter punches a boxer takes through his career.

This is just a hunch and every human body is different. Some can take bearings like Homer Simpson. Others simply can’t.

I notice that NFL running backs often suffer a sudden drop off in performance, or a major injury, after a period of severe overuse, or a few games in a row with 30 touches. It’s not so much a gradual thing with a lot of runners. They have “it” and then it’s all but gone a season or two later. This seems to support my theory which is anecdotal.

There's this interesting theory in Eastern philosophy that we have an energy body, a kind of scafold that the physical is built around, and every little time we take from it, a little bit more vitality drains from it, but a big extra special effort or trauma drains it to a level we can't come back from, no matter how much we train, eat ect. I don't know if its true, but you can see why they see things this way.

Comment

very true. not sure why they did those guys like that. they did the same thing to vazquez vs marquez.

Comment

Originally posted by lilmac99 View Post
          very true. not sure why they did those guys like that. they did the same thing to vazquez vs marquez.
          Vazquez and Marquez did it to themselves. You have to remember man. Fighters paid an extraordinary amount of money. They're prize fighters. That's why they do it.

Go ask Vazquez right now if he regrets anything. He's blind in one eye and is a shell of his former self. There is no self-pity in fighters.

Comment

Not a fan of American football at all but they guys are massive. They do 1 thing only so RSI injury will be very common. Also the level which everyone performs at around hem is harsh on their ability to keep their primes long.

The money will help ease the pain I'm sure

Comment

They think a lot of it may be gym wars and I tend to agree. After any pro fight they are supposed to stay out of sparring for a few weeks to a month so that their brain can recover.

But after a gym war? well they come in the next day and do it all over again. They think mini concussions happening repeatedly before the next has time to heal is a big risk factor for TBI/CTE.

Toney was notorious for his gym wars even though he was a defensive minded fighter in the ring. He shows very obvious signs of TBI.

Some of it is just luck. George Foreman sounds very clear and seems fine despite taking some beatings in his 40s from prime holyfield, prime morrison, and even moorer until the KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
                Vazquez and Marquez did it to themselves. You have to remember man. Fighters paid an extraordinary amount of money. They're prize fighters. That's why they do it.

Go ask Vazquez right now if he regrets anything. He's blind in one eye and is a shell of his former self. There is no self-pity in fighters.
                money isn't everything. some one should have been looking out for him rather than trying to get paid.

Comment

Damn right it was

Comment

Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post

I just read about this, both his eye and his chronic immune disease.

What makes his eye a bit more disturbing is that a lot of people, myself included at the time, were worried about him going into the 4th fight and didnt want to see that fight get made. He would get cut every single fight and there was so much scar tissue it was almost guaranteed he would get cut up in the 4th fight. Now it turns out that fight likely cost him an eye and he didnt have trouble until after that fight.

Boxing cant prevent most injuries, but it sucks the most when they seem almost destined to happen and people are saying this fighter should really hang it up but they dont know when to stop.

Comment

Working...
                    X