No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Scott Quigg: Unfortunately You Can't Stop Father Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Scott Quigg: Unfortunately You Can't Stop Father Time

Scott Quigg has hinted that retirement could be the next step after suffering a crushing defeat. The 31-year-old former world champion was soundly beaten by Jono Carroll on Saturday night at Manchester Arena. Quigg took on the Dubliner in what was his first fight in 17 months after over a year out with a jaw injury.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Inactivity and lack of sparring will lead to timing being off and an inability to take punches. I wouldn’t retire. You got a few good fights left in you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMyspaceDayz View Post
      Inactivity and lack of sparring will lead to timing being off and an inability to take punches. I wouldn’t retire. You got a few good fights left in you.
      I think sparring was the problem, too many wars in the wildcard gym.

I think he should definitely retire, Quigg is a former world champion, when you're getting dominated and stopped by the likes of Jono Carroll, it's time to call it a day.

Comment

hes 31

Comment

This is a case of a boxing and some of his fans deluding themselves. Quigg is still in his prime, he just isn't very good. Look through his record, his best win is Kiko Martinez. His three hardest fights of his career, Carroll, bad style match up, Quigg is a straight forward plodder with limited skill, anyone with good movement beats him easily. Frampton,much better boxer, and Valdez who beat him up, but is always there to be hit which makes Quigg seem netter than he actually is. Decent domestic fighter, nothing more.

Comment

I'm glad Scott can see the truth. Whatever the reason(s), he's now a shadow of his former fighting self in every way. I could easily see him training guys but sadly it would take a minor miracle for him to rediscover his fire. It was like watching Haye vs Bellew.

Comment

Takes a big man to actually admit his time has come
              I think retirement is the right call
              Hopefully he put away some coin and can easily retire cause that’s one of the biggest reasons fighters don’t

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                hes 31
                He’s an old 31 though.

He quit school and had been basically having gym wars since he was a teenager. He’s been travelling to gyms in the USA from the UK since he was about 14 or 15. There’s an interview with him where he said he first went to the Wildcard at 15, he would travel to USA with his mum so he could go to the gyms there, before he was even supposed to have finished school.

Have you heard him speak? He can barely string a sentence together.

Comment

Maybe he should fight a few more tomato cans and build himself up slowly before making a brutal assessment of his abilities. Being off a few years before fighting again can do that to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
                    This is a case of a boxing and some of his fans deluding themselves. Quigg is still in his prime, he just isn't very good. Look through his record, his best win is Kiko Martinez. His three hardest fights of his career, Carroll, bad style match up, Quigg is a straight forward plodder with limited skill, anyone with good movement beats him easily. Frampton,much better boxer, and Valdez who beat him up, but is always there to be hit which makes Quigg seem netter than he actually is. Decent domestic fighter, nothing more.
                    Exactly.

Watch Quigg decide to fight one more time and waste the other guy if buddy throws an average amount of shots and stands still.

The way he was talking though is that he is only willing to fight on if he can become champion. He sort of came to terms with the fact that isn’t happening. Still has a good last one left in him though, I’ll tell you that.

Comment

Working...
                    X