Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Now a Happy Warrior, Kirkland Continues Middleweight Career Reboot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Now a Happy Warrior, Kirkland Continues Middleweight Career Reboot

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Remember everything you've forgotten about James Kirkland. He was a snarling, menacing whirlwind of a junior middleweight, with an equally intimidating trainer and a penchant for producing thrilling if not exactly fundamental fights. The "Mandingo Warrior" was last seen by a significant audience five years ago, looking...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Is this the same shot guy who was pole axed by Canelo many many many moons ago!!

Some of these guys should not even be licensed to fight anywhere to save them from themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by slimPickings View Post
      Is this the same shot guy who was pole axed by Canelo many many many moons ago!!

Some of these guys should not even be licensed to fight anywhere to save them from themselves.
      That was after an 18 month lay off when he'd ballooned past 200, man. Kinda excusable. What you can't brush under the rug was that he was flattened by featherfist Ishida in 1 round when he was still suppossed to be a Bad Mfer... That said I always liked James, you're never gonna get a boring fight - well, except when he got kinda bit schooled by Molina.

Comment

I like it man, his new moniker should be James 'Happy Papi' Kirkland... dude. Looks like he learned that there's more important shit in life than baxin and ego... Good man.

Comment

What a great story to start my day. I've always had a soft spot for crazy James and I feel strangely happy that he's found a relative peace within himself. I hope he and Ann can re-unite for another run at the middlewight prizes. Keep it going, James. Great stuff.

Comment

I liked Kirkland as the snarling whirlwind of a fighter. That beat down of Tapia was his peak

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
              That was after an 18 month lay off when he'd ballooned past 200, man. Kinda excusable. What you can't brush under the rug was that he was flattened by featherfist Ishida in 1 round when he was still suppossed to be a Bad Mfer... That said I always liked James, you're never gonna get a boring fight - well, except when he got kinda bit schooled by Molina.
              I remember the Ishida fight was the third fight in some three weeks if not mistaken and got caught pretty bad in that bout, plus it was after some time in jail as well, at that time he was with Kenny Adams as his coach.

Comment

I thought he was be 40 or something, im like I havent heard that name in forever. Look him up hes 35 now but he didnt fight from 2015 until last August.

Did he have some major injuries after Canelo or something? Looks like he quit boxing for 4 years basically and decided to come back.

If he was going to fight for say another 3 years would have been better to just fight from 31-34 instead of 35-38.

Comment

Kirkland isn’t likely going to win a title but his fights are pure entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by KidDinamita View Post
                    I remember the Ishida fight was the third fight in some three weeks if not mistaken and got caught pretty bad in that bout, plus it was after some time in jail as well, at that time he was with Kenny Adams as his coach.
                    I think that's where the popular idea that he needed Wolfe to succeed came from, yeah, and he was making up for lost time as you say. Either way, tremendously exciting machine of destruction but also an incredibly flawed fighter. The high point was probably the Rock em Sock em drama of James vs Perro, which I can quite happily revisit any time at all and so will do so now:

Comment

Working...
                    X