No announcement yet.

Rahman-Maskaev: Pay-Per-View Worthy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rahman-Maskaev: Pay-Per-View Worthy?

My, how far the heavyweight division has fallen. Of course this is not news to followers of the sport but even diehard fans have got to be scratching their heads over the August 12th rematch between current WBC belt holder Hasim Rahman and challenger Oleg Maskaev. It’s not so much the match up itself, as questionable as it is, but the fact that HBO and promoter Bob Arum are asking boxing fans to shell out $49.95 for a fight that isn’t even worthy of HBO’s After Dark program.

This is the network whose talking heads (Larry Merchant and Jim Lampley) constantly deride sanctioning bodies, preferring to recognize Ring ****zine’s title belt holder as the king of the division. So why is this bout on pay per view? The only answer is, it’s a “championship” fight.

Are you kidding me? [details]

They probably went to PPV to make up the rest of $$$ needed for the fight.

This isn't a matter of being PPV worthy, it's about being able to afford to put on the crappy show.

Comment

hell no its not PPV worthy and its not even a good undercard. I only have a passing interest in seeing Vanes Martirosyan if they even show him. Bobby Pacquiao was on the undercard against Soto but now Soto is fighting a replacement that he's supposed to dominate instead of a competitive fight with Manny's bro.

This should be an HBO BAD card.

Comment

Should be for free obviously, but asking for 50 bucks is ludicrous.
        I could stand 25, thought I still would not purchase it.

Comment

Did Rahman fight Barret on PPV or was it just my imagination?

Comment

Originally posted by PBF34
            Should be for free obviously, but asking for 50 bucks is ludicrous.
            I could stand 25, thought I still would not purchase it.
            yeah pretty damn crazy if you ask me, im trying hard to care about who wins this fight. the most exciting thing for me would be whether or not the winner says he wants to unify in the post fight interview

Comment

Originally posted by PBF34
              Did Rahman fight Barret on PPV or was it just my imagination?

pretty sure he did, i think i would have watched it were it free

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932
                yeah pretty damn crazy if you ask me, im trying hard to care about who wins this fight. the most exciting thing for me would be whether or not the winner says he wants to unify in the post fight interview
                Unification wont happen anytime soon.
                Wlad will face Briggs, then his mandatory.
                Luykovitch will face McBride then give Brewster a rematch.
                Valuev will feast on C level fighters.
                If Rahman wins this, he will probably take on the winner of Peter vs Toney.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932
                  pretty sure he did, i think i would have watched it were it free
                  I vaugley remember people talking about what a ripoff ppv it was.
                  Boring fight.

Comment

Rahman/Maskaev should be on HBO for free. Making people pay for this fight is a joke. I paid $24.95 for the Jones fight on the weekend...which wasnt bad. Full PPV price for the Rahman/Maskaev is an insult to boxing fans. This whole card should be free. No body cares about Rahman or Maskaev or anyone else fighting on that card.

Comment

Working...
                    X