Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: McGirt Warns Team Canelo, Critics That Kovalev is Not Washed Up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: McGirt Warns Team Canelo, Critics That Kovalev is Not Washed Up

By Thomas Gerbasi - Sunday morning, 9am. It's six days before the big fight and James "Buddy" McGirt is making the media rounds with ace publicist Rachel Charles. It's around this time that we start to wonder what's going through a fighter's mind as the opening bell creeps closer. McGirt, a former junior welterweight and welterweight champion who...
    [Click Here To Read More]

This is a really good article. For once. Wow. Great job to the author. Not the regular low effort garbage published here.

Comment

Man the Kovalev situation is pretty humorous. I like seeing "fans" made to completely backtrack on what they argued for/against previously. This is what has happened: Kovalev loses to Ward in the first fight, which many people saw as a robbery, therefore many see Kovalev as being, in their eyes, still undefeated. He loses the rematch, but many see this as a very controversial stoppage by overly excessive **** rocking on the part of Ward. Many STILL see him as undefeated. Kovalev gets the WBO LHW back in what's essentially a gimme fight and wins another gimme fight by stoppage. Kovalev is stopped by Eleider Alvarez next and is written off near completely. But then, Kovalev wins practically every round of the Alvarez rematch and wins back his WBO title. He boxed Alvarez head off that night. Then the Yarde fight is made, shortly afterwards, rumbles of Canelo being interested in fighting Kovalev are surfacing. Very shortly before the fight it's announced that a Kovalev win will likely get him his highest purse in a fight with Canelo. So, safeguarding that potential payday, Kovalev fights as he did in the Alvarez rematch, and many people seem to have gone unawares to the fact that Kovalev was owning the fight from the beginning and the punch stats for the fight were, as always lately, utterly atrocious. throughout the whole of the fight, Yarde manages to win about 50 seconds cearly when he hurts Kovalev in the 8th round. Kovalev was hurt, but nowhere near like against Alvarez, and nowhere near what the commentary tells us. He fights back intelligently, clinches intelligently, and manages to hit Yarde with very good shots toward the end of the round. Round 9, you may as well have sent Yarde back to the UK, as the writing was ALL over the walls that the fight didn't have long to go. So, basically, we have a fighter who, previous to any of the Canelo mentioning, is considered by MANY, MANY people, to be a fighter who should only have one loss on his record. In his two previous fights, the Eleider rematch and the Yarde fight, we have a Kovalev who's only lost 50 secs undeniably. But with the mentions of a Canelo fight, all the sudden Kovalev is a washed up shell of the fighter he once was? Many have, due to a dislike of Canelo, had to do a lot of backtracking on their opinions regarding Kovalev. It's plain as day with some. Of course Sergey Kovalev isn't the fighter he was at 30 yrs old, but he's absolutely in no manner whatsoever closed to being washed up and it's absurd to think so.

Comment

A Clown Show.

WWE FIXED FIGHT.

The same way Golden Spoon up the Ass and CLENELO did with Julio Chavez Jr.......FIXED FIGHT WWE STYLE.

Mark my words.

There's no way and angling juicing rehydration clause ducking Charlo Coward like Canelo would sign to fight somebody he wasn't GURANTEED to beat.

It's BS, it's also on short notice, and these mother****ers are snapping Selfies with each other and being all friendly..

GTFO Okay.

I smell FIXED FIGHT.

Comment

Ward 1 = very close. Ward 2 = Kov was broken. Kov did well to bounce back after his 2 tko's. Yarde fight was worrying but he got the job done. Short turnaround for this fight. I might be wrong, but I think this is too high a climb 4 Canelo. Going with Kovalev. Good luck to anyone fighting Beterbiev. He is a beast! Enjoy the fight.

Comment

Buddy don't give a dam about Kovalev

He will give him an opportunity to try and win and once he start getting wacked to much, Buddy will step up on the apron and say "That's It" hug his fighter and wait on his pay check, end of story. Buddy from the old school once you start doing it your way he like "F it then".

I'm just saying!

Comment

I'm browsing the threads on Canelo vs Kova fight...

... nobody here gives a shit, even it's the fight week...

Comment

A very intriguing fight. How I long for the days when HBO and even showtime put on proper build up shows, as in 24/7 and fight camp. Dazn don't have anything of note whatsoever, and a brief video advertising the fight. Really pathetic the way they built it up, even though yes the fight was only announced in september.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario040481 View Post
                  Man the Kovalev situation is pretty humorous. I like seeing "fans" made to completely backtrack on what they argued for/against previously. This is what has happened: Kovalev loses to Ward in the first fight, which many people saw as a robbery, therefore many see Kovalev as being, in their eyes, still undefeated. He loses the rematch, but many see this as a very controversial stoppage by overly excessive **** rocking on the part of Ward. Many STILL see him as undefeated. Kovalev gets the WBO LHW back in what's essentially a gimme fight and wins another gimme fight by stoppage. Kovalev is stopped by Eleider Alvarez next and is written off near completely. But then, Kovalev wins practically every round of the Alvarez rematch and wins back his WBO title. He boxed Alvarez head off that night. Then the Yarde fight is made, shortly afterwards, rumbles of Canelo being interested in fighting Kovalev are surfacing. Very shortly before the fight it's announced that a Kovalev win will likely get him his highest purse in a fight with Canelo. So, safeguarding that potential payday, Kovalev fights as he did in the Alvarez rematch, and many people seem to have gone unawares to the fact that Kovalev was owning the fight from the beginning and the punch stats for the fight were, as always lately, utterly atrocious. throughout the whole of the fight, Yarde manages to win about 50 seconds cearly when he hurts Kovalev in the 8th round. Kovalev was hurt, but nowhere near like against Alvarez, and nowhere near what the commentary tells us. He fights back intelligently, clinches intelligently, and manages to hit Yarde with very good shots toward the end of the round. Round 9, you may as well have sent Yarde back to the UK, as the writing was ALL over the walls that the fight didn't have long to go. So, basically, we have a fighter who, previous to any of the Canelo mentioning, is considered by MANY, MANY people, to be a fighter who should only have one loss on his record. In his two previous fights, the Eleider rematch and the Yarde fight, we have a Kovalev who's only lost 50 secs undeniably. But with the mentions of a Canelo fight, all the sudden Kovalev is a washed up shell of the fighter he once was? Many have, due to a dislike of Canelo, had to do a lot of backtracking on their opinions regarding Kovalev. It's plain as day with some. Of course Sergey Kovalev isn't the fighter he was at 30 yrs old, but he's absolutely in no manner whatsoever closed to being washed up and it's absurd to think so.
                  Great write up.

I'm not Canelo's biggest fan, I was totally against the gift decisions he got against GGG, but I give him all respect for moving up to face Kovalev without a catchweight (hopefully no ridiculous rehydration clause as well, fingers crossed), because Kovalev is still extremely dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
                    Great write up.

I'm not Canelo's biggest fan, I was totally against the gift decisions he got against GGG, but I give him all respect for moving up to face Kovalev without a catchweight (hopefully no ridiculous rehydration clause as well, fingers crossed), because Kovalev is still extremely dangerous.
                    There really wasn't any "gift decisions" against Golovkin imo; the first fight was close enough that a draw wasnt a "gift" and Alvarez won the second. Ward 2 exposed the myth of "Krusher" when, faced with a real fight, he looked to the ref rather than fire back. Nothing I've seen since suggests kovalev is anything other than in a downward trajectory; it's only his height/length advantages that might nake this fight with Canelo competitive.

Comment

Working...
                    X