Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Spence-Porter Slugfest Reminds Us What Makes Great Fights Great

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Spence-Porter Slugfest Reminds Us What Makes Great Fights Great

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I like sports. Ask my wife of 13 years (and best friend of 14), Danielle, and she'll tell you I'm as likely to be up at 2 a.m. watching replays of old Olympics or Super Bowls as I am to be sleeping and dreaming. But it's not just sports for the sake of sports. While some fans can get a competitive contact...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I like sports. Ask my wife of 13 years (and best friend of 14), Danielle, and she'll tell you I'm as likely to be up at 2 a.m. watching replays of old Olympics or Super Bowls as I am to be sleeping and dreaming. But it's not just sports for the sake of sports. While some fans can get a competitive contact high watching a fourth-quarter...
    [Click Here To Read More]
    ———-

Great article. Funny thing about greatness is three of the old timey names you’ve listed; Corrales, Castillo and Gatti, ALL got beat by a certain fighter who shall remain unnamed.
    Granted that it took two fights to right one of the fights but a win is a win is a win.

Now, brace yourself - here comes the mayhem rebuttals

Comment

Hey Lyle, I still remember that you called Porter, and I quote, a "brand-name jobber" in your last column. Isn't there something you should say in light of that?

Oh, and of course he has to crowbar his childish grudge against Arturo Gatti in somehow. Pathetic.

Comment

Spence vs Porter was the Fight of the Year.
        I feel like unless it’s another unification they should run it back.
        The second fight will sell out big time just off the replays of the first fight

Comment

This fight is no candidate for FOTY. It was close, but very ugly and messy, thanks to Porter who can't swim. I've seen bar fights that were more pleasing to the eye..

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
            Spence vs Porter was the Fight of the Year.
            I feel like unless it’s another unification they should run it back.
            The second fight will sell out big time just off the replays of the first fight
            Better than Thurman Pacquiao? Thought that fight had more complete fighters, more drama and it meant more legacy wise too. Spence Porter was great though, it’s what happens when top level prime guys fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
              Hey Lyle, I still remember that you called Porter, and I quote, a "brand-name jobber" in your last column. Isn't there something you should say in light of that?

Oh, and of course he has to crowbar his childish grudge against Arturo Gatti in somehow. Pathetic.
              I don't see how you can get to be a caveman and yet share a ring with Mayweather - there'd have to be something more.

Comment

Originally posted by steeve steel View Post
                This fight is no candidate for FOTY. It was close, but very ugly and messy, thanks to Porter who can't swim. I've seen bar fights that were more pleasing to the eye..
                lol lol lol

Comment

so was this fight really better than Hurd - Williams?

Who wins - Williams vs Spence?
                  and Hurd vs Porter - which would be a helluva battle of wills. Could Porter get inside Hurd reach?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
                    I don't see how you can get to be a caveman and yet share a ring with Mayweather - there'd have to be something more.
                    ————

Gatti was just a stepping stone for Floyd to go main stream. Floyd was moving up in weight and Gatti held a belt.
                    The other two beltholders (Cotto and Hatton) refused to fight Floyd.
                    Cotto is actually on record affirming that during the promo for his fight at 154 with Floyd. Meanwhile, Hatton’s team said they weren’t ready. They weren’t ready for a guy that was coming up from 135

Comment

Working...
                    X