Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Was Dan Goossen The Last Great Promoter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Was Dan Goossen The Last Great Promoter?

By Thomas Gerbasi - Dan Goossen went to Chicago to see a fight. He ended up finding a career. Isn't that how it always goes in the crazy business of boxing? Dan's brother Joe already knew that he was all-in, and that's why he was in the Windy City on a summer night in 1980, cornering his buddy, welterweight contender Randy Shields, for...
    [Click Here To Read More]

This article really nails the problem with boxing promotion these days. I am remember the 80s and the 90s when boxers had video games with their likeness on them to attract young fans. I remember when boxers were guests on tv shows, had soda advertisements, were on the cover of Sports Illustrated, were covered in news casts, etc etc.
    The art of REAL promotion died....FOX is probably doing the best job but it’s far from what the sport had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s....and I vividly remember it

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
      This article really nails the problem with boxing promotion these days. I am remember the 80s and the 90s when boxers had video games with their likeness on them to attract young fans. I remember when boxers were guests on tv shows, had soda advertisements, were on the cover of Sports Illustrated, were covered in news casts, etc etc.
      The art of REAL promotion died....FOX is probably doing the best job but it’s far from what the sport had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s....and I vividly remember it
      It was a much different time. Now there are a million options for content right at your fingertips. Back then, there were only a few channels on TV and everyone was watching the same s**t.

Comment

They don't do product endorsements anymore. I still remember seeing Smokin' Joe in the 70's doing an aftershave commercial. It was really funny and he made a payday but more importantly, Joe became a house hold name. Ali seemed like he was born to be a household name because he was controversial, innovative and a tremendous talent.

Comment

ungreatful ward ended up sueing mr.goosen..without him ward wouldn't have fought all his super six fights in the u.s.

Comment

Originally posted by juandabomb View Post
            ungreatful ward ended up sueing mr.goosen..without him ward wouldn't have fought all his super six fights in the u.s.
            We would have to listen to Ward's side of the story. I'm sure he had his reasons, just like Michael Nunn did when he left Goosen.

There is no promoter on Earth who is a saint.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              We would have to listen to Ward's side of the story. I'm sure he had his reasons, just like Michael Nunn did when he left Goosen.

There is no promoter on Earth who is a saint.
              Well said................

Comment

As much as I hate Bob Arum, the old fart still has put together some memorable fights. so no, Goosen wasn’t really the last Mohican.

Comment

Goosen was a good promoter, but not a great one. Great is reserved for Jacobs, Arum, and King. Must have forgotten about the money spent at America Presents.

Comment

The only man to beat Andre Ward.

Comment

Working...
                    X