No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Magomed Abdusalamov Litigation Ends in Settlement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Magomed Abdusalamov Litigation Ends in Settlement

The litigation that began when Magomed Abdusalamov suffered life-altering brain damage during a November 2, 2013, fight at Madison Square Garden has come to an end. In 2017, the State of New York, which was responsible for overseeing the fight, agreed to pay $22 million to Adbusalamov and his family after almost four years of litigation that alleged substandard New York State Athletic Commission medical protocols and claimed that even these protocols were poorly implemented. But the case against referee Benjy Esteves and three NYSAC ring doctors remained.
    [Click Here To Read More]

At least they will be able to give him the best possible rehabilitation. One can only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
      At least they will be able to give him the best possible rehabilitation. One can only hope.
      Yes sir. Astronomical but I wish him and his family well.

Comment

Wonder how much more they got. I wonder how much money it costs per year to have the care Magomed now needs.

Comment

This fight was the fight that ended my bloodlust in boxing. I keep stressing this to people who complain about stoppages...i'm sure his family wish the fight had been stopped and you were left moaning about it because then they wouldn't be going through this. Glad they finally got some justice and can focus on his well being.

Comment

Happy at least they won this so Mago can have the care he needs. Hope he continues in his recovery. Any word on how he is now? Has he improved?

Comment

Ultimately I don't think the money is truly deserved. Because I don't think anyone was truly at fault here he's in a dangerous sport and he was in a tough fight and he was hanging in there tough in the fight it was not even stopped late. There wasn't a gross negligence of any sort. And I know the family always feels they should sue and I don't really hold that against them for trying to recoup some money since they've lost their loved one. But it's not really a good precedent. Now if it was like Antonio margarito using plaster loaded gloves and then Miguel Cotto suffer brain damage in that fight? That's definitely a lawsuit. They are even trying to sue the referee. The main problem is that Mago, did not have the chin in the punch resistance of a David Tua or an Oliver McCall or a chuvalo.

The other thing that's going to come across as insensitive but I'm going to say it anyway. Is you have to determine what degree of vegetable you want to be in life. Adonis Stevenson appears to be recovering somewhat and will live a diminished life of some quality. But people like Gerald McClellan and this guy. Are basically vegetables that's what they are they can't talk they can't walk. I know if I was in that position I would want my family to mercifully put me down and that's the truth. So I don't know who's paying for this 22 million dollars an insurance company I hope.

This happens now and again and it is a tragedy but by the Numbers it's actually a very small percentage of boxers that befall this. There are tens of thousands of boxers that have competed without Serious injury.

Looking at it in retrospect is easier than looking at it when it was actually happening. When it was actually happening people just thought it was a good fight. In retrospect I don't like the way he was asking his Corner if his face was swollen he was touching and pawing at his face between rounds because he thought something was broken or something didn't feel right. But he kept fighting each round.
              Last edited by The_Hamster; 09-04-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Hamster View Post
                Ultimately I don't think the money is truly deserved. Because I don't think anyone was truly at fault here he's in a dangerous sport and he was in a tough fight and he was hanging in there tough in the fight it was not even stopped late. There wasn't a gross negligence of any sort. And I know the family always feels they should sue and I don't really hold that against them for trying to recoup some money since they've lost their loved one. But it's not really a good precedent. Now if it was like Antonio margarito using plaster loaded gloves and then Miguel Cotto suffer brain damage in that fight? That's definitely a lawsuit. They are even trying to sue the referee. The main problem is that Mago, did not have the chin in the punch resistance of a David Tua or an Oliver McCall or a chuvalo.

The other thing that's going to come across as insensitive but I'm going to say it anyway. Is you have to determine what degree of vegetable you want to be in life. Adonis Stevenson appears to be recovering somewhat and will live a diminished life of some quality. But people like Gerald McClellan and this guy. Are basically vegetables that's what they are they can't talk they can't walk. I know if I was in that position I would want my family to mercifully put me down and that's the truth. So I don't know who's paying for this 22 million dollars an insurance company I hope.

This happens now and again and it is a tragedy but by the Numbers it's actually a very small percentage of boxers that befall this. There are tens of thousands of boxers that have competed without Serious injury.

Looking at it in retrospect is easier than looking at it when it was actually happening. When it was actually happening people just thought it was a good fight. In retrospect I don't like the way he was asking his Corner if his face was swollen he was touching and pawing at his face between rounds because he thought something was broken or something didn't feel right. But he kept fighting each round.
                Sometimes people get that sympathy payoff. It's boxing. Boxing is about hitting your opponent as hard and as often as you can on the head and body.

It's not a secret.

I still hope he can live a better life now that they have money.

Comment

Any update on how he's doing? Or Boytsov?

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
                    Any update on how he's doing? Or Boytsov?
                    Or Gutknecht.

Comment

Working...
                    X