Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kovalev's Scare Shows Importance Of Making Canelo Bout Now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kovalev's Scare Shows Importance Of Making Canelo Bout Now

By Corey Erdman - Sergey Kovalev slumped onto his stool following the eighth round of his bout against Anthony Yarde. He was thoroughly dominated and nearly knocked out. He looked up at his trainer Buddy McGirt and saw a man concerned, ready to stop the fight, as referee Luis Pabon was mere seconds bef...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Agree, time to cash out and if he wants after that to see what he's got left, he can try to unify, but at this point I'd probably not risk health for this. Why bother?

Comment

This fight gives me Manny vs De la Hoya vibes.

Comment

Kova has payed his dues now time for him to get that canelo money.

Comment

... Of course: Kovalev should look to cash out on that big Canelo money... Now it remains to be seen if Canelo still wants the fight and under what conditions (this because Kovalev can't make any weight below 175 on the scales).

Comment

Writer for boxing establishment website: (My personal interpretation)

'Kovalev just had an 11 round war vs a huge puncher and almost got knocked out. Canelo is the boxing establishment's favorite fighter. He makes us the most money. Kovalev should fight him, but only on November 2nd, 9 weeks from now, while he still has brain damage, so that it can make Canelo look great and become an even bigger superstar.

Also, let me mention Andre Ward a bunch of times in this article so that after Canelo beats a still recovering injured Kovalev, we can bring Andre Ward back to fight Canelo and make hundreds of millions of dollars on the "made our names robbing or otherwise screwing over Kovalev past his best" Superbowl.'

Comment

slappin' soggy sustained injuries in his 2nd fight with kovalev that effectively ended his career

Comment

Great article. Great summation of the situation for Kovalev and the decisions available to him.

'In a different context, Kovalev’s performance can be viewed as equally concerning as it was entertaining.'

That's the most pertinent point looking beyond the weekend's fight. It looked as though Kovalev had ample opportunities to shoot his right hand at a Yarde who was open with his head up even before he was gassed, and I almost shouted at the screen: 'just finish him!'

If he fights Canelo, which looks as though all the conditions are right, Kovalev will either have to work harder in the gym or come up with a strikingly effective game plan.

Even then, Canelo is certain to target Kovalev to the body and work him inside - he's got a solid chin, is versatile, and can punch.
                The only real unknown if this fight eventuates is how will Canelo carry himself @ 175?

I hope for the fans' sake he doesn't make this a catchweight fight - I don't think Kovalev could survive what is already probably a major chore in making his current weight.

Comment

What part of the game is this?! Sergay ducking a little redheaded middleweight? for the biggest payday of his life?! Egis Klimas and Kathy Duva got it twisted, fo real!
                  Last edited by 1hourRun; 08-26-2019, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I'm not interested because I know it wil have some weird stipulation that sucks the meaning out of the fight..

This is a guy who fought at catchweights with a decimal point. Something that up until that point was a popular joke. There's 100% gonna be some weird stipulation.
                    Last edited by ////; 08-26-2019, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X