Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Can Vergil Ortiz's Power Lift De La Hoya's Tough Week?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Can Vergil Ortiz's Power Lift De La Hoya's Tough Week?

By Matthew Williams - It has been a far from perfect few days for Oscar De La Hoya, but Vergil Ortiz has a chance to put a smile back on the Golden Boy's face this weekend. De La Hoya has been infuriated by the IBF's decision to strip Canelo Alvarez's middleweight belt with that organization, following an inabil...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Yes and Yes. I have been banging on and on my drum about the insidious way the IBF is stripping champions far too quickly, and have a look at any website that posts all top ten rankings for all four major sanctioning bodies.

What is most saddening for your average boxing romantic, is the joy of seeing an undisputed champion. It's becoming a rarity and unless the sport undergoes radical changes (yeah pfft) I believe eventually it will disappear.

I'm no fan at all of ODLH the promoter, but I understand his frustration. The IBF is stripping titleholders and No.1 and No.2 ranked fighters more frequently so that it can be seen to be taking a hard line with promoters, but it's all about increasing the frequency of revenue from fees.

Whilst the WBA and WBC go about introducing more titles (and receiving more fees) the IBF is cleverly doing the opposite almost.

I point to Terence Crawford (@140) GGG, others whom I've forgotten but it's usually more higher-profile fighters that are getting stripped.

I'm not sure what the WBO will do - although any fan who knows the business knows you can buy your way to the top with any sanctioning body.

There is a promotional gridlock @ 147, maybe Ortiz can break it in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiowhatta View Post
      Yes and Yes. I have been banging on and on my drum about the insidious way the IBF is stripping champions far too quickly, and have a look at any website that posts all top ten rankings for all four major sanctioning bodies.

What is most saddening for your average boxing romantic, is the joy of seeing an undisputed champion. It's becoming a rarity and unless the sport undergoes radical changes (yeah pfft) I believe eventually it will disappear.

I'm no fan at all of ODLH the promoter, but I understand his frustration. The IBF is stripping titleholders and No.1 and No.2 ranked fighters more frequently so that it can be seen to be taking a hard line with promoters, but it's all about increasing the frequency of revenue from fees.

Whilst the WBA and WBC go about introducing more titles (and receiving more fees) the IBF is cleverly doing the opposite almost.

I point to Terence Crawford (@140) GGG, others whom I've forgotten but it's usually more higher-profile fighters that are getting stripped.

I'm not sure what the WBO will do - although any fan who knows the business knows you can buy your way to the top with any sanctioning body.

There is a promotional gridlock @ 147, maybe Ortiz can break it in the next few years.
      What’s the promotional gridlock at 147?

Comment

V.Ortiz is so good to be true!?
        Last edited by Letmaku; 08-06-2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Until Ortiz's chin gets tested or goes the distance, we don't know for sure if he's really the goods. I only hope they're not rushing this kid to a title that's where things go south. GBP has given more attention to Ryan Garcia than Vergil Ortiz I don't know if it's because of the fan base Garcia brings. I mean he did sell out the formerly known Stub Hub, lets see if Ortiz can sell out The Theatre at Grand Prairie

Comment

If Ortiz loses Oscar gonna be dead or in rehab by Monday morning.

Comment

So this is a GBP website? lol

Comment

Working...
              X