No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Boxing's Body of Lies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Boxing's Body of Lies

By Tris Dixon - They say the best boxers are liars. For years, academics and students of the sport have pointed out how, to take it to the top of this rough old business, you need to be a master of deception. You must be able to disguise punches, mask pain, trick a foe using your eyes, feint until they no longer know what to believe and punch at 75 percent until a window opens and then, when an...
    [Click Here To Read More]

Well written article. Kudos to both guys for giving it their all. What a breath of fresh air to have a heavyweight bout with so little holding. These two proved that it's not always about just pure skill. Both of these guys have their flaws but heart and desire are not two of them.

Comment

good article

good article showing respect to both fighters for a courageous effort

Comment

Very good article. I liked the opening segue about how traditional kinds of fitness often don't avail you for much in the ring. One of my favourite stories one of the trainers at the gym back home in the UK used to tell me is how sometimes some of the local rugby league team would come down to train at the behest of one of the teammates who started off as an amateur boxer. These guys were training year round to compete for 80 minutes straight in one of the highest-intensity contact sports there is at the top level nationally (some of them played internationally too) and apparently once they got in the ring they were all gassed in a matter of minutes and making excuses for checking out. It's true that nothing can prepare you for fighting, except fighting.

Comment

I think most of us know this. But the plethora of personal trainers pretending they can improve a boxers performance have brainwashed a few. I was a believer in lifting and hi tech training until my mid 30s.On injuring my rotator cuffs imagine my suprise to find out i looked the same and actually performed better athletically on a simple bodyweight calisthenics and jogging routine. Not all of it but so much of this stuff is unnecessary, and at worst takes away from what you should be doing. How many fighters are lifting barrels when they should be practicing moving their head?

Comment

Arreola can still fight for the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Brettcappe View Post
              Well written article. Kudos to both guys for giving it their all. What a breath of fresh air to have a heavyweight bout with so little holding. These two proved that it's not always about just pure skill. Both of these guys have their flaws but heart and desire are not two of them.

Arreola DOUBLED his previous highest punch output, at 38yo

wtf ?

I mentioned it on the other thread

wtf ?

Comment

Tris Dixon, those insights sounds like you’ve had a few fights yourself.
                If you haven’t, you at least put your feet into the shoes of a professional boxer to write that piece.
                Some of that article was not dissimilar to poetry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgames View Post
                  I think most of us know this. But the plethora of personal trainers pretending they can improve a boxers performance have brainwashed a few. I was a believer in lifting and hi tech training until my mid 30s.On injuring my rotator cuffs imagine my suprise to find out i looked the same and actually performed better athletically on a simple bodyweight calisthenics and jogging routine. Not all of it but so much of this stuff is unnecessary, and at worst takes away from what you should be doing. How many fighters are lifting barrels when they should be practicing moving their head?
                  Skill + S.A.I.D.!

The only way to adequately develop the skills and adaptation to fighting is to fight!

Comment

Like Futch is to have said to Frazier "No one will forget what you've done tonite."
                    Also, this is the first fight my 15 yr old nephew ever managed to sit through. Sit through is not the right word though, he was bouncing off the walls. It was all around great

Comment

Working...
                    X