No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: A Look Back at The Career of Willie "The Worm" Monroe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: A Look Back at The Career of Willie "The Worm" Monroe

Willie "The Worm" Monroe was boxing a six-rounder against Ted Hamilton, a scrawny white kid out of Fairmount, WV. This was in April 22, 1970, at the Blue Horizon. I was 22 years old; Monroe was 23 and he had won all four of his pro fights by knockout. We billed Hamilton as the middleweight champion of West Virginia which didn't quite carry the same weight as, say, the middleweight champion of New York.
    [Click Here To Read More]

R.I.P Willie. He will always be remembered for being one of the guys who beat Hagler early in his career. I wish that there was video of that fight. Sounds like it was a classic. Hagler was a beast and beating him was no easy chore! I never got to see Monroe fight live but did attend Hagler's destruction of Hamsho at MSG!

Comment

Good fighter,its too bad his son is featherfisted & couldn't surpass his father.

Comment

Originally posted by kushking View Post
        Good fighter,its too bad his son is featherfisted & couldn't surpass his father.

Willie Monroe Jr. is the great nephew of Willie " The Worm" Monroe. Monroe Jr’s father, Willie Lee "The Body Rock" Monroe was also a world rated middleweight who lost just four of 31 between 1985-2000 but never got to contest a world title.

Comment

Thanks to BIGPOPPAPUMP and Boxing Scene for giving Russell Peltz the platform to offer his memories of a true Philly warrior.

If you came up when I did, guys like Willie the Worm and Bennie Briscoe and Boogaloo Watts were legend — they were prototypes of what Philly boxing was. Their names garnered immediate respect.

(As a side note, Willie Monroe lost to David Love, a West Coast guy who for some reason had a string of wins over Philadelphia middles during that span until, IIRC, Curtis Parker finally got over on him.)

RIP, Worm. Thanks for all you gave.

Comment

GOAT nickname. Rest In Heaven Champion. 😪😭

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              Willie "The Worm" Monroe was boxing a six-rounder against Ted Hamilton, a scrawny white kid out of Fairmount, WV. This was in April 22, 1970, at the Blue Horizon. I was 22 years old; Monroe was 23 and he had won all four of his pro fights by knockout. We billed Hamilton as the middleweight champion of West Virginia which didn't quite carry the same weight as, say, the middleweight champion of New York.
              [Click Here To Read More]

excellent fighter !!

GREAT read !!

damn, that was well-written

more memories, albeit under better circumstances..... would be much-appreciated Mr Peltz..... NICE JOB Sir !!

RIP champ !

Comment

Rip champ philly legend

Comment

Working...
                X