Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Robin Reid Discusses Joe Calzaghe Fight, Failed Rematch Talks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Robin Reid Discusses Joe Calzaghe Fight, Failed Rematch Talks

Former WBF World Champion Robin Reid has turned his attention after boxing to preventing knife crime in local communities. Reid was a 3-time world champion, making 6 defences of his WBF world title on UK soil, along with winning WBC and IBO world titles and infamously giving Joe Calzaghe arguably the toughest fight of his career.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I had the fight 6-6 with Calzaghe winning due to the point deduction. He did some of the same things as Hopkins, drawing Calzaghe in and then catching him with the right hand. From what I recall, Reid turned down more money for the rematch than he'd gotten for the first fight.

Comment

This is one of those fights... Calzaghe won a competitive fight. A rematch would have been good to see, but there was no controversy in the first fight. Haters would jump on this like Floyd-Castillo I, but the right man won on both occasions. Suppose it gave people hope, to see Calzaghe looking human against Reid.

Comment

That fight was very close. I didn’t think either one of them deserves to lose that fight. Underrated fight doe

Comment

Also; Reid says Hopkins and Jones Jr. were past-prime when Joe fought them, but Joe was way past-prime by then! Put it into context like, fair's fair. Hopkins actually went on to pick up some good wins after fighting Joe.

Comment

I will always maintain that Reid won that fight. And Robin didn’t got far enough, both Hopkins and Jones were way passed their best when he got them. Jones was DONE after his heavyweight win and dropping down from 197 to 175 which was nothing but pure muscle and water loss....his legs, punch resistance, and reflexes were shot after that.
            Last edited by Oldskoolg; 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM.

Comment

By the way, good to see this Caribbean fella doing what he can to lessen the violent crime rate of British youth

Comment

There certainly would be no argument if Reid was declared the winner of that fight. It was very close, and Reid clearly landed the more powerful punches.

Comment

Reid was as good as that ....a very close fight with a prime Joe who was caught flush more than ever.It's good to see Robin is carrying himself well outside also with his work as a trainer and his knife crime endeavours.Good luck to this good guy.

Comment

I'm glad to hear he's doing positive things post boxing. Also interesting to hear he's part of the WBF and that it's still going. The current WBF Heavweight Champion of the world is Erzen Rrustemi. I wonder if AJ and Wilder will unify or continue to duck him.

Comment

Working...
                    X