No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Porter Escapes, Bivol Dominates: Afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Porter Escapes, Bivol Dominates: Afterthoughts

Two interesting fights on paper ended up being a little more interesting in theory than in execution. At welterweight, Shawn Porter-Yordenis Ugas ended up being the sort of difficult to score contest many envisioned. For some, the final outcome may have been controversial. Porter retains the WBC belt. There was certainly some debate to be had about how the official judges scored the fight. In particular, the difference between a loss and a draw for Ugas was Max DeLuca somehow scoring the final round, one of the few that appeared to be clear for either man in the fight, for Porter. That made the fight 7-5 from him, or a win for Porter.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Porter, hopefully, fights the WBC Diamond belt-holder, whether it's Spence or Mikey! I would like to see Ugas vs. Jaron "Boots" Ennis! "Boots" is 22-0 w/ 20 KOs! Time to step up! Ugas would be perfect! MAN UP!
    Last edited by Bronx2245; 03-11-2019, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Disagree with the author of this article. Ugas did enough to win. He was robbed. The one who has to do more is the sports business and the judges to avoid those controversies that again and again harm the spectacle. Porter was all the time backing and he lost his ADN. He was not agressive, only backing and running. Is a shame for the boxing. Ugas had a plan and did it perfectly. He won. Period.
      Last edited by racostaa; 03-11-2019, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by racostaa View Post
        Disagree with the author of this article. Ugas did enough to win. He was robbed. The one who has to do more is the sports business and the judges to avoid those controversies that again and again creates controversies and harm the spectacle. Porter was al, the time backing and he lost his ADN. He was not agressive, backing, running. Is a shame for the boxing. Ugashad a plan and dis perfectly. He won. Period.
        Ugas did more than enough. I agree that it was a clear robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Redgloveman View Post
          Ugas did more than enough. I agree that it was a clear robbery.
          Yes man. Should be a simple math. The judge only has to sum the rounds won and with this simple math Ugas won by far. Shouldn't be a rocket science besides of the business rules and nationalism, racism and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by racostaa View Post
            Disagree with the author of this article. Ugas did enough to win. He was robbed. The one who has to do more is the sports business and the judges to avoid those controversies that again and again harm the spectacle. Porter was all the time backing and he lost his ADN. He was not agressive, only backing and running. Is a shame for the boxing. Ugas had a plan and did it perfectly. He won. Period.
            I didn't read the tone of the article as you did. Did Ugas do enough to get the win, sure. Did he do ALL he could to get the win, no. The author simply suggested that he should have done more to impress the judges. Remember, judging is subjective and while the scoring criteria are the same for all, they are weighted different based on the individual preferences. So Ugas lost. Period. Not because he didn't fight a good fight. Not because he didn't deserve it. But because 2 of the 3 people whose scorecards mattered the most felt he lost more rounds than he won.

Comment

I had Ugas winning 7-5 but was I surprised that Porter got the nod? Not at all. This is standard practice in boxing when there are close rounds, the champ generally gets the benefit of the doubt. Is that right? Of course not but I think Ugas did just enough to win which I figured wouldn't be enough for the bias judges. Porter looked horrible in this fight. Did not making weight affect his performance? Perhaps. He as wearing multiple layers into the ring like he was froze solid unless he was trying to get a better a sweat going when Ugas came in with normal ring attire. If it was the cold, you would think a guy from Cuba would also have found it cold.
              It seemed like Porter had a game plan to use his legs like in the Garcia fight but it backfired when Ugas used his timing and hand speed to catch Porter with cleaner shots.

Comment

Really gotta see the Ugas fight back. Bivol and Smith would be a good fight too.

Comment

Working...
                X