Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nietes Admits Not Much Time Left To Secure Career Defining Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nietes Admits Not Much Time Left To Secure Career Defining Fight

Having shared a boxing ring for 12 rounds last September and the past few weeks in talks for an ordered rematch, Donnie Nietes and Aston Palicte are now prepared to move in separate directions. Plans for a title fight rematch between the pair of Flipino super flyweights have officially vanquished following Nietes' decision to vacate his World Boxing Organization (WBO) title. The move came ahead of a scheduled purse bid hearing, which was due to take place Thursday morning at WBO headquarters in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Silly article. Reading the headline I figured this guy was 32 or so. At 37 he doesn't have to "admit" to anything as for as the time he has left. It's obvious it's not much if any..

He's already well past the average retiring age of a boxer which is somewhere around 34.

Comment

Beating Ioka is still quite an accomplishment... To date, that is his defining fight.

I think he should target the Rungvisai/Estrada winner, Yafai, a rematch with Ioka... 4th option is Roman Gonzalez... I don't think he'd like to fight Ancajas.

The fight with Ioka was close... and Ioka fought well enough to deserve a rematch.

Comment

Good move Donnie, WBO is a corrupt organization.

Comment

For so long, I was waiting for him to fight big names. Instead he chose to stay in the comforts of Cebu, Philippines fighting whoever Thai, Korean, or Japanese is available.

He has himself to blame if at this age, he is still looking for career defining fight.

Comment

this guy is pretty crafty with his skills. i wonder why he never really got the full support from the filipinos? it's almost as if this guy is not even filipino lol. even donaire got more love.

Comment

Originally posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
              For so long, I was waiting for him to fight big names. Instead he chose to stay in the comforts of Cebu, Philippines fighting whoever Thai, Korean, or Japanese is available.

He has himself to blame if at this age, he is still looking for career defining fight.
              Actually he was fighting mexicans for much of his career. There are barely any thais and koreans in his record and ioka was actually his first japanese opponent. But i see your point. Still i think he's just being harsh on himself about not being on the same level of donaire and pac rather than not having any career defining fights. Beating Ioka is a pretty damn good career defining fight even if somewhat controversial and its not like he wasn't chasing for them. He moved to 112 for estrada only for him to move to 115 and after one defense at 112 he quickly moved up to 115. Id say he WAS chasing for them but none of the other big dogs would take the bait as nietes is pretty high risk and low reward kind of fighter

Comment

Originally posted by .WesternChamp. View Post
                this guy is pretty crafty with his skills. i wonder why he never really got the full support from the filipinos? it's almost as if this guy is not even filipino lol. even donaire got more love.
                Boxing isn't really a big sport in the Philippines unless you're pacquiao. Hell not even all of donaire's fights gets aired unlike every pacman fight.

Comment

Originally posted by fourtheboys96 View Post

It is ALA Promotion and stable the reason. Other popular Pinoy boxer was able to get name recognition wgen they aligned themselves with US based promotions such as Toprank for MP and Donaire during their heydays.

Add that Nietes was more into defense than offensive minded fighters as the 2 previous fighters i mentioned.

Pinoy know him for sure, not that revered though.

Comment

Originally posted by HumanBag View Post
                    Boxing isn't really a big sport in the Philippines unless you're pacquiao. Hell not even all of donaire's fights gets aired unlike every pacman fight.
                    yeah but this guy nietes is also from the philipines! right?? donaire is not even from the philipines and is actually pretty americanized but he seems more known to the filipinos than nietes. does nietes have a lot of ko's? i've seen some of his previous fights, he's pretty entertaining. i think he's better than donaire. even fvvcking mercito gesta got more love lol!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X