Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jim Lampley Recalls Bizarre Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson Broadcast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Jim Lampley Recalls Bizarre Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson Broadcast

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - If you're a boxing fan of a certain age, it remains an indelible memory. And whether you watched the broadcast live or blearily scanned for results after a Saturday evening spent elsewhere, the moment a certain six-word phrase hit home was monumental. "Mike Tyson has been knocked out." Iron...
    [Click Here To Read More]

I remember Lampley going on Roy Firestone's show and saying Douglas had zero chance and he was just there to make a check. He didn't even bother sending a spy to Buster's camp.
    And if he had checked Mike at his training camp, it was a freaking mess.
    Greg Page was kicking his a$$ in sparring . Mike was fkn Japanese h0$ . Flew back to the US some 3 weeks before the fight b/c he was bored in Tokyo.
    After the fiasco, Don King hired Richie Giacceti. Richie was the biggest joke that came out of Cus's camp.

Comment

Originally posted by OCPancho View Post
      I remember Lampley going on Roy Firestone's show and saying Douglas had zero chance and he was just there to make a check. He didn't even bother sending a spy to Buster's camp.
      And if he had checked Mike at his training camp, it was a freaking mess.
      Greg Page was kicking his a$$ in sparring . Mike was fkn Japanese h0$ . Flew back to the US some 3 weeks before the fight b/c he was bored in Tokyo.
      After the fiasco, Don King hired Richie Giacceti. Richie was the biggest joke that came out of Cus's camp.
      I cried like a newborn baby when I saw Mike trying to collect his gumshield with his boxing gloves still on. That was my first recollection of mild concussion of a boxer in the ring

Comment

Oops, I meant Larry Merchant. It was Larry who went on the Roy Firestone show.
        Some two-three weeks before the fight, Page knocked Tyson down in sparring.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelanthony View Post
          I cried like a newborn baby when I saw Mike trying to collect his gumshield with his boxing gloves still on. That was my first recollection of mild concussion of a boxer in the ring
          Gotta give Mike props on that one, he did get up.

His cornerman was a total joke.
          That loser couldn't train a goat to eat grass.
          They also did not have a cutman in the corner iirc.
          They used a condom for ice bag.

Comment

I would never forget that day, i woke up to BBC News early in the morning *Breaking news* Mike Tyson has been knocked out!!!

Comment

Lololololol

Comment

Legendary moment in sports, I can only imagine what it must have been like to see it live or first hand.

Comment

“I get up in Tokyo, I call Tyson-Douglas, I get on a plane and fly from Tokyo back to Los Angeles, I go to a charity awards luncheon that afternoon in Los Angeles, I anchor the 5 o’clock news, I anchor the 11 o’clock news, I do a business dinner in between and I do a report for CBS This Morning on the weekend in sports – after the 11 o’clock news that night.

Jeez Jim earned his money that day!

Comment

Pretty sure it was a rubber glove, but lol. Funny joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X