Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Denis Shafikov Held To Majority Draw By Gadzhialiev in Stunner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Denis Shafikov Held To Majority Draw By Gadzhialiev in Stunner

Sochi, Russia - In an upset, heralded former three-time world title challenger Denis Shafikov (40-4-2*, 20 KOs) was held to a draw but far less experienced lightweight Gaybatulla Gadzhialiev (6-1-1*, 2 KOs) in a scheduled ten-rounder.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    Sochi, Russia - In an upset, heralded former three-time world title challenger Denis Shafikov (40-4-2*, 20 KOs) was held to a draw but far less experienced lightweight Gaybatulla Gadzhialiev (6-1-1*, 2 KOs) in a scheduled ten-rounder.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Damn, man. Denis just ain't been the same since the back to back wars with Commey and Easter (either of which could have been a draw for my money despite the almost criminally bad scoring of the Easter fight). Shafikov was a relentless terrier at his best, and would give the toughest of fights to anyone in his division only a few years ago.

Dunno. Maybe the heart went out of him with the Easter fight... unbelievable judging.

Comment

Idk if its THAT bad. This cat looks like a low key bad mfer. Olympian. 11-3 in the WSB. 360-10 alleged amateur record. Took a close L in his last fight to a cat with more pro experience.

Comment

He is too short to be a lightweight. He constantly gives up height and reach. His energy level was a saving grace, but it's not a gift, like a big punch. He needs his A game to get a draw, seems like.

Comment

Gadzhialiev is a very good fighter in his own right. The result doesn't surprise me. In fact I thought Gadzhialiev was gonna pull it off and beat Shafikov.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            Damn, man. Denis just ain't been the same since the back to back wars with Commey and Easter (either of which could have been a draw for my money despite the almost criminally bad scoring of the Easter fight). Shafikov was a relentless terrier at his best, and would give the toughest of fights to anyone in his division only a few years ago.

Dunno. Maybe the heart went out of him with the Easter fight... unbelievable judging.
            Looks like Shafikovīs bad luck didnīt stop there, after Easter a SD loss to Alvarado, boxrec:"Shafikov given eight count in fifth round although TV replays showed he tripped over Alvarado's foot."

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
              Looks like Shafikovīs bad luck didnīt stop there, after Easter a SD loss to Alvarado, boxrec:"Shafikov given eight count in fifth round although TV replays showed he tripped over Alvarado's foot."
              Yeah. I missed that fight but I did notice that on Boxrec... still Alvarado ain't the kind of fighter that should have been coming close enough for it to matter. Looks like Denis is really on the downslide which is a shame... been a really solid player at 135 for a few years now. FWIW I saw a Draw with Rances too.

The relentless little Bashkir terrier has given us some great fights over the years - any of the above could have been a draw for my money.

Comment

Working...
              X