Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ngabu vs. Merhy in Play For EBU Strap After Jur KO Loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ngabu vs. Merhy in Play For EBU Strap After Jur KO Loss

Romanian cruiserweight Alexandru Jur suffered a crushing one round knockout loss this past weekend against noted puncher Dmitry Kudryashov in Kemerovo (Russia). This loss cost him the position as mandatory challenger for the EBU title held by Belgian Yves Ngabu, 19-0, and opened the door for an all-Belgian showdown between Ngabu and Ryad Merhy, 25-1.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I sometimes wonder where the EBU get there ratings from. Hopefully the Askin/Okolie winner this weekend is nominated #1 mandatory contender @ 200Lb.

Comment

Shame nobody outside of Belgium will watch this will be a really good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        Shame nobody outside of Belgium will watch this will be a really good fight.
        I agree, and it might give some prestige to the title.

In the other hand, Sergio Garcia and Zakaria Attou were set to face each other the 29th of this month in Spain for the superwelter EBU title, but the current holder suffered a cut.

The EBU decided to take away the title from the champion and gave the chance to the spaniard's team to find a substitute to face him.

Was the injury legit? Many opponents suffer "injuries" in european title fights to delay the fight, distract, and break opponent's training plan.

Comment

I do too

Originally posted by Mick Higgs View Post
          I sometimes wonder where the EBU get there ratings from. Hopefully the Askin/Okolie winner this weekend is nominated #1 mandatory contender @ 200Lb.
          Me too, it would appear that the EBU route whilst getting you the "European title" does not guarantee decent money at that level or even a world ranking with one of the 4 bodies.

I have no problem with fighters taking the WBO European or IBF European title which albeit is a lot less risky and there are no eliminators or mandatories but at least it gets you a top 15 ranking and the chance for a voluntary shot at a world champion or gets you 1 or 2 eliminator fights from a mandatory world title shot.

I would love to see some Euro title unifications between the WBO and IBF in the near future to decide a mandatory or top 5 position.
          The IBF make such lovely red belts, I want one.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCSBronzemedal View Post
            Me too, it would appear that the EBU route whilst getting you the "European title" does not guarantee decent money at that level or even a world ranking with one of the 4 bodies.
            Being the EBU winner gives you a top 15 rank in the WBC rankings.

Comment

Biggest fight in Belgian history!! Get you chocolates and waffles ready! Winner fights Bilal Laggoune

Comment

Working...
              X