Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: James KOs Montes With Body Shot; Monroe Out-Boxes Maciel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: James KOs Montes With Body Shot; Monroe Out-Boxes Maciel

Jamal James wasted little time Friday night in making his hometown crowd happy. The welterweight contender knocked out Mahonry Montes with a body shot in the second round of their main event at The Armory in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The taller, longer James improved to 24-1 and produced the 11th knockout of his career.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Awesome victory by James.

Comment

Good stoppage victory by James; he did what he was supposed to do against a game but outmatched opponent. That's what his fans wanted and what he needed to keep himself relevant.

On the other hand we have Willy Monroe, Jr. He's obviously skilled but his temperament seems timid. He was in against a tough but smaller and outskilled opponent coming in on short notice. He seemed content to cruise to a boring decision. When he fought BJS, he fought to a boring loss and never seemed to sense any urgency. Only time I've seen him look exciting was when he went out on his shield against GGG and I think that was more about Golovkin than it was about Monroe.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
        Good stoppage victory by James; he did what he was supposed to do against a game but outmatched opponent. That's what his fans wanted and what he needed to keep himself relevant.

On the other hand we have Willy Monroe, Jr. He's obviously skilled but his temperament seems timid. He was in against a tough but smaller and outskilled opponent coming in on short notice. He seemed content to cruise to a boring decision. When he fought BJS, he fought to a boring loss and never seemed to sense any urgency. Only time I've seen him look exciting was when he went out on his shield against GGG and I think that was more about Golovkin than it was about Monroe.

wasn't that the guy who gave Pirog a hard time ?

not sure..... but some fighters - while not being top echelon - make you work for everything and are really hard to look good against

not sure if that was the case here

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post

not sure..... but some fighters - while not being top echelon - make you work for everything and are really hard to look good against

Nah, he never fought Pirog.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post

You're right, sometimes you come up against an opponent who won't get blasted out and who will make you look bad. Thing is, Maciel has been stopped before. Soro took care of him in 3 rounds. Monroe just doesn't seem to want to get out of his comfort zone even if he can stop his opponent (Maciel) or if he needs it to win (BJS). I say all of this out of frustration because I like Willy and think he has the skills to be a player in the division. Charlo was right in his commentary, if Willy doesn't win in noteworthy fashion he's not really making people want to see him fight the beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
              Nah, he never fought Pirog.
              Maciel fought Pirog

Comment

Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
                Maciel fought Pirog
                Oh I thought he meant Willie Monroe. Nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                X